Amnesia

Amnesia

Postby rzduss » 04 Jun 2012, 14:13

Hello,

we are currently evaluating Copperlan as a replacement for a complex MIDI environment. Unfortunately one of the four involved computers does always forget his own copperlan settings. Even the number of virtual ports gets lost and returns to the default of 4 after each reboot. So a simple snapshot does not solve the problem.

2 x Win XP SP 2 (Ableton Live)
1 x Win XP SP 3 (VSTs ...)
1 x Win 7 64 (Arkaos GrandVJ)

The computer in question (the oblivious one) uses Win XP SP 2 with Ableton Live 8.0

Any idea?
Rainer
rzduss

Re: Amnesia

Postby Copperhead » 04 Jun 2012, 16:08

Rainer,

This is a strange and hopefully unique case of misbehavior that we've never encountered before.
The suggestions hereafter are usually solving such mysterious cases.

- Uninstall the CopperLan package (from prog files list > CopperLan > Uninstall).
- Reboot the computer.
- Run regedit and look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CopperLan. If the CopperLan key is still there, delete it.
- Download and install the CopperLan package.

If that doesn't help, delete again, upgrade your XP to SP3 and re-install CopperLan.

Please keep us updated. Thank you.
Copperhead
Site Admin

Postby rzduss » 05 Jun 2012, 14:07

Hello,

I complied with your suggestions but left out the installation of SP3 because we had many problems with that on this computer. Aside from this the other computer with SP2 works fine with CopperLAN!

There was no change in CopperLAN behaviour.

BTW: the event log is always complaining about missing "Micrsoft VC80.DebugCRT". But this is an all computers.

Following a little unknown thought I changed the MIDI interface (from ESI M4U -> MIDISPORT 4x4). Now the situation has changed: CopperLAN sometimes but not always remembers the number of virtual ports but still does not restore the status of the hardware ports.

Where are these settings stored on the system ? I'd like to examine the access rights.

Unfortunately a snapshot does only save the connections and not the settings of a device. Otherwise I could live with that: booting the computer, restore one snapshot and off we go ...

Cheers
Rainer
rzduss

Postby CopperPhil » 05 Jun 2012, 16:10

Hi Rainer,

The MIDI configuration is saved as an opaque binary blob in the registry, HKLM/Software/CopperLan/CPVNM[Setup]

But the issue is elsewhere, perhaps due to the MIDI port auto-handling feature. We found that disabling the MIDI auto-handling is helpful to fix Pro-Tools issues. By default, CopperLan manages automatically "physical" MIDI ports, creating a MIDI<->CopperLan bridge as soon such port is appearing on the system. Could you try disabling this? Go to CopperLan Manager's Editor tab, MIDI, MIDI settings, MIDI port auto-handling, turn it off. Then you have to activate manually the ports you want to use from the CopperLan network turning them on/off from "MIDI to CP interface" or "CP to MIDI interface".

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby rzduss » 06 Jun 2012, 19:11

Hello,

disabling the auto-handling feature was one of the first things I did after installing CopperLAN, because there are some MIDI interfaces that must not be controlled from everywhere.

I did some tests with a process monitor and a checksum program:
The configuration is written correctly to the setup key in the registry. It survives a reboot. But soon after I start the CPVM service manually the configuration is read, discarded and rewritten with a default one ...

So there is something that lets the service think the configuration is inconsistent and therefore it returns to default.

Hmm ...
Rainer
rzduss

Postby CopperPhil » 06 Jun 2012, 20:21

It is very strange since it occurs on only one machine... :?

The issue might be due to a mess in the hardware MIDI port detection. There may be a not yet identified issue when the service is enumerating the existing MIDI ports at startup...

Can you tell me the complete list of MIDI ports installed on this computer (except the CopperLan VMIDI), and the reference of related hardware if applicable?

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby rzduss » 08 Jun 2012, 18:01

Hello,

here is a list of the MIDI ports:

MIDI in port - Hardware
=================================================================
USB Device - Korg Legacy Controller
Multiface MIDI - RME Multiface Audiointerface
M-Audio 4x4 Anniv In A - M-Audio MIDISPORTS 4x4 Anniversary
M-Audio 4x4 Anniv In B - see above
M-Audio 4x4 Anniv In C - see above
M-Audio 4x4 Anniv In D - see above

MIDI out port - Hardware
=================================================================
USB Device - Korg Legacy Controller
Multiface MIDI - RME Multiface Audiointerface
M-Audio 4x4 Anniv Out A - M-Audio MIDISPORTS 4x4 Anniversary
M-Audio 4x4 Anniv Out B - see above
M-Audio 4x4 Anniv Out C - see above
M-Audio 4x4 Anniv Out D - see above
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

Meanwhile I did a clean reinstall of CopperLAN: I deinstalled CopperLAN and then deleted manualy all registry keys related to CopperLAN. After the reinstallation I found a new error message in the event log:

Generate Activation Context for C:\Program Files\CopperLan\CPVNM\CLP\CLoNet.clp failed

Cheers
Rainer
rzduss

Postby animated » 31 Jan 2013, 16:36

Hi

I've been having this same issue with CopperLan 1.1 on Mac. I setup CopperLan, enable all my midi ports and everything works. When I reboot, either all of the midi ports have been disabled, or sometimes one or two ports will be enabled, but all the others disabled. Which ports are enabled and disabled changes randomly with each reboot.

I have installed CopperLan 1.1 a few times and it's made no difference. In the end, I tried 1.0, and that seems to be working correctly now.

I'm on a 2010 Macbook Pro running OSX 10.8.2, and my midi interface is an emagic AMT8.

Thanks

Lee
animated

Postby ssshaun » 17 Apr 2013, 12:04

Hi, I'm having the same problem with 1.1(2). Copperlan isn't remembering configurations and so needs re-setting each time I open it (everyday). Re-installing 1.0 isn't an option as, as far as I can tell, the modular unit (Alyseum MS-812) receiving the midi-data isn't compatible with it.

Any help much appreciated.
ssshaun

Postby CopperPhil » 17 Apr 2013, 13:04

Please install the latest package 1.1(3) from our web site. The Mac amnesia has been fixed :-)

Cheers,

/Phil
CopperPhil

Return to Bug report