Ethernet Connectivity Problem

Ethernet Connectivity Problem

Postby Baraak » 06 May 2013, 00:01

Hello Guys,

I have two computers networked and installed Copperlan on both. One Copperlan installation finds the ethernet port to use, but my other installation cannot seem to find a similar connection. I am, and have been for a long time, successfully networked and everything else works just fine.

I also went into my Windows firewall settings and created an exception for Copperlan just in case my firewall was disabling it, and turned off all other antivirus/malware type blockage, cleaned my registry, rebooted and reinstalled Copperlan, but on my second computer the ethernet interface setting still can't find an ethernet connection even though I'm currently sharing files and able to connect to my first computer as always; the network connection is otherwise fine.

My Specs:

I installed the application as an administrator on both. My computers are identical except one chipset by ASUS (working) and the second by Nvidia (no ethernet connection). For the (bad) Nvidia computer:

M4N 78Pro (NVIDIA nForce ethernet) http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4N78_PRO/
AMD Phenom II X4 955
WinXP SP3
3GB RAM
Copperlan 1.1 [3] - downloaded today

This 2nd computer is also connected to the internet by a wireless connection in use. I noticed on my Copperlan interface, the connection description at the bottom reads "Ethernet" on the working installation, but reads "Local" on the poor installation.

The network uses standard CAT5 ethernet crosstalk cable (homemade), so no hub/router difficulties to be had. I don't have any software other than Windows Firewall that would block network traffic. I don't run traditional antivirus, but I do have Spybot and MalwareMalbytes in my systray as well. I tried it without those two applications running and the problem persists.

Thanks!
Last edited by Baraak on 06 May 2013, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
Baraak

Re: Ethernet Connectivity Problem... continued

Postby Baraak » 06 May 2013, 00:32

I'm at the moment trying to do this again, so I went into the registry manually to try and delete ALL entries I could find for Copperlan, and for the first time ever, I've found registry entries that do not allow me to delete them. They were in the following folder:

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\*CPVMIDI\0000
Baraak

Re: Ethernet Connectivity Problem

Postby CopperPhil » 06 May 2013, 06:44

Hi,

Well it seems that the Ethernet driver is not correctly installed on your second computer.

Since you have modified some registry keys, the first thing is uninstall CopperLan, reboot, then ensure that you instal it using the XP32 version of CopperLan distribution package! The drivers, especially Ethernet driver, are quite different between the XP and Vista/7/8 version.

Then if the issue is persisting, please check that the CopperLan over Ethernet protocol is enabled for your interface.

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby Baraak » 06 May 2013, 07:42

Thanks for the reply!!

... I've already done the registry cleaning and reinstalling of Copperlan very thoroughly; cleaned the registry manually and using software followed by a reboot, and finally, the re-installation of Copperlan, in that order, 4 times now. As for the version used, I only downloaded the XP 32bit, which my good computer actually installed from a directory on my second computer.

Just how would I go about checking that Copperlan over Ethernet is enabled? I mentioned firewall settings are OK, and I went into System properties to see that Copperlan was enabled there as well, and surely enough "this device is functioning properly"

Thanks again!
Baraak

Postby Baraak » 06 May 2013, 08:25

Ok - this isn't likely to work.

After removing Copperlan one more time, I cleaned the registry and rebooted. Then I updated my chipset driver to include the latest ethernet software for my motherboard. I rebooted again and reinstalled Copperlan and it still persists.

I'm going to give this another try at a later date and see what happens. It might be a stupid checked or unchecked box somewhere. For now, thank you for the help.
Baraak

Postby CopperPhil » 06 May 2013, 09:30

Baraak wrote:Thanks for the reply!!

...Just how would I go about checking that Copperlan over Ethernet is enabled? I mentioned firewall settings are OK, and I went into System properties to see that Copperlan was enabled there as well, and surely enough "this device is functioning properly"

Go to the control panel, right click on the "Local Area Connection" icon, then select Properties from the dialog box. A dialog box enumerating installed protocols should be displayed, check that "CopperLan over Ethernet Protocol Driver" is checked.

CopperLan is not using IP protocol, so it should not be bothered by antivirus and other firewall.
CopperPhil

Postby Baraak » 07 May 2013, 05:42

CopperPhil wrote:
Baraak wrote:Thanks for the reply!!

...Just how would I go about checking that Copperlan over Ethernet is enabled? I mentioned firewall settings are OK, and I went into System properties to see that Copperlan was enabled there as well, and surely enough "this device is functioning properly"

Go to the control panel, right click on the "Local Area Connection" icon, then select Properties from the dialog box. A dialog box enumerating installed protocols should be displayed, check that "CopperLan over Ethernet Protocol Driver" is checked.

CopperLan is not using IP protocol, so it should not be bothered by antivirus and other firewall.

EXCELLENT!!!! - Protocol is visible in my first computer and not on the second. That's it! How to proceed?
Baraak

Postby CopperPhil » 07 May 2013, 06:30

if the protocol is present but not checked, just check it then re-boot the computer (or re-start the CPVNM service).

if the protocol is not present in the list, first try (again) to uninstall CopperLan, then re-install it taking care that under XP some confirmation dialog box could popup behind the installer's main window! So when the installation process is starting, please move the installer's window to a corner to see if some driver install confirmation appears in the middle of the screen.

Finally, if the driver is not yet installed, you can try a manual installation. The procedure is described in a document located in Program Files/CopperLan/Documentation.
CAUTION: do not install manually the virtual MIDI driver if it is already installed.

Let me know if it's ok then ;)

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby Baraak » 07 May 2013, 08:18

Thanks for the patience there Phil,

Firstly, I was savvy to the popup during installation as there was a warning for the "continue anyway" Microsoft warning. So no problem there.

Secondly, the Copperlan Virtual MIDI driver is present. It's listed in the "Sounds and Audio Devices" as installed and working correctly

I tried the re-installation again (registry cleaning and all) and it didn't work.

I also tried to manually install the Ethernet protocol, because it's not listed in the properties window, but once I choose "Install -----> Protocol -----> Add" ...I get the following message :

Could not add the requested component. The error is: The specified path does not contain any applicable device INFs

TA!
Baraak

Postby CopperPhil » 07 May 2013, 10:51

It seems that either your NVidia ethernet driver is not able to see the CopperLan protocol driver or something broken in your system is preventing the driver installation...

So,
-> check that you installed the latest NVidia drivers
-> try a Windows repair

By the way, just to check if the protocol driver is installed, can you select the WIFI interface from the CopperLan Manager settings panel? or can you verify if the "CopperLan over Ethernet Protocol Driver" is available and checked for the WIFI interface?
CopperPhil

Next

Return to Bug report