Mac OSX - iMac - no ethernet on POPUP chooser

Mac OSX - iMac - no ethernet on POPUP chooser

Postby edemunari » 31 Oct 2014, 16:52

Hi,
just trying to configure copperlan manager and after it seems to work right whenever I stop the Imac and restart it the ethernet connection is lost and no way to restart it see attach.
Midi driver installed:

Maschine Studio
Novation SL49 MKII
Behringer 32

No way to solve except disinstall all restart reinstall avery time.

Thanks, cheers, Eriberto :cry: :cry:

Schermata 2014-10-31 alle 15.53.14.png
Imac Version
Schermata 2014-10-31 alle 15.53.14.png (44.97 KiB) Viewed 13882 times

Schermata 2014-10-31 alle 15.42.29.png
Copperlan Manager

Schermata 2014-10-31 alle 15.42.15.png
No Ethernet
edemunari

Re: Mac OSX - iMac - no ethernet on POPUP chooser

Postby CopperPhil » 31 Oct 2014, 22:59

Hi,

Strange issue... Is it the first time you are using CopperLan? Did you upgrade from a previous version? Are you using any anti-virus or shield on this computer? Do you see the "MIDI on [your computer]" in the overview tab?

Can you de-install CopperLan, restart the computer and then re-install CopperLan in order to ensure that the CopperLan daemon is well updated?

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby edemunari » 01 Nov 2014, 09:14

I always install the last version since th beginning and every time I need to do this. By the way it begins to happen to my early 2008 Mac Pro... Same story same issues... On this there are also two MOTU interfaces connected... Every time I have to reconfigure all!!!

Not shure but it seems it happens when you stop the Mac manually or with power save instead of shutting of it.
Really annoying.

While we are discussing about lan just another info needed. The keyboard Usb Novation sl49 Mkii connected to the iMac has to be shown as midi input on my Protools running on Mac pro or I have to create a virtual connection to the Mac pro virtual midi input to record its notes in pro tools?
At the present this seems to be my only chance.

Hope you can solve this issues because I'm waiting 3 Elyseum AL-88c to configure and all this seems to became a really mess.
Thanks in advance cheers, Eriberto
edemunari

Postby edemunari » 01 Nov 2014, 09:15

Sorry I forgot it:
All devices correctly installed under Mac midi config....

Cheers
edemunari

Postby CopperPhil » 01 Nov 2014, 10:52

...it seems it happens when you stop the Mac manually or with power save instead of shutting of it.
Really annoying.

What do you mean by "when top the Mac manually or with power save"? Do you have the problem when the Mac is going to Sleep and not when you shut it down? or the opposite?

Did you try without MOTU device connected?

Hope you can solve this issues because I'm waiting 3 Elyseum AL-88c to configure and all this seems to became a really mess.

Sure, I understand your concern! But I need more feedback to understand what is occurring. And first of all I would like to know if the issue is still there when you are using exclusively CopperLan software/devices, because it could be a compatibility issue with other things (in this case your MOTU equipment).

About your Novation keyboard connected to the iMac: if you want to control Pro Tools running in your Mac Pro from this keyboard connected to your iMac, you have first to ensure that the keyboard is handled by CopperLan (CopperLan manager/Edit tab/MIDI on iMac/MIDI to CP/{your keyboard}: turn it on), then go to the CopperLan manager/Connection tab, select MIDI on iMac/{your keyboard} and create a virtual MIDI cable to some port of the Mac Pro (VMIDI1 for example). Finally, set up Pro Tool on the Mac Pro to listen to the port used as MIDI cable target. If Pro Tools is creating itself some virtual MIDI port, you can also handle them in CopperLan (same procedure than for the keyboard, turn on Edit tab/MIDI on Mac Pro/CP to MIDI/{pro tools port}) and then you can directly connect the keyboard's CopperLan endpoint to the Pro Tools CopperLan endpoint. Quite hard to explain without drawing support :-) Let me know if it is not clear for you.
CopperPhil

Postby edemunari » 01 Nov 2014, 13:53

Hi, thanks a lot for your fast support, about the Ethernet disappearing it happens when Mac (iMac or pro) goes to sleep if I light off them doesn't happen. As a first try it seems that unchecking the wake on lan could solve the problem, but let my try a couple of more time to be sure.

Regarding Novation I completely understand, was the solution I was thinking about. But the AL-88c will be available from both the Mac directly without using any routing to a Vmidi, right?

Cheers, Eriberto
edemunari

Postby CopperPhil » 01 Nov 2014, 19:22

We never got any bug report related to the wake on lan option... so your case is very interesting. CopperLan is along other protocols but there should not be any interaction since it is not IP based. So I'm very curious to understand what is happening.

If you want to control the AL-88c from the Novation keyboard, you have to enable the keyboard handling by CopperLan (turn it ON from the CopperLan Manager's Edit panel) and then create connections. If the keyboard is not handled by CopperLan, then it is only available as a MIDI port and you can't connect it directly to the AL-88. This device can be controlled from any CopperLan source, which can be a VMIDI (MIDI to CoppeLan) port, a MIDI IN port handled by CopperLan (which is also a MIDI to CopperLan), or a native CopperLan controller software or hardware.
CopperPhil

Postby edemunari » 03 Nov 2014, 14:59

Hi CopperPhil
after some more debugging you're right no Wake on Lan issues, but it seems a midi driver mess... Now I deinstall all and start adding one by one.

Maybe do you have an incompatibilty list already done to help me?

Do you think I could only remove them for Library/Audio/midi Driver or elsewhere too?

Thanks in advance, cheers, Eriberto
edemunari

Postby CopperPhil » 03 Nov 2014, 15:26

Maybe do you have an incompatibilty list already done to help me?

.... Actually no... we had some issues under Windows due to the fact that if CopperLan is handling a MIDI port, this port becomes "busy" and then it is not possible to open it from another application (most of MIDI drivers are single instance under Windows). And so it is possible to fix this simply by setting the port OFF in the CopperLan MIDI parameters. But this issue was never reported under MacOSX.

But else we never got any incompatibility report so far...

Does it work fine if you disconnect the MOTU interfaces?
CopperPhil

Postby edemunari » 03 Nov 2014, 16:23

Hi I'lll let you know if I can manage all this problem, even if I noticed that the problem appears even if I don't enable any USB/MIDI driver in Copperlan Manager.

MOTU at the present are not the problem because I star debugging the problem from my iMac that hasn't no Motu connected.

Cheers, Eriberto
edemunari

Next

Return to Bug report