VMidi-Port not available

VMidi-Port not available

Postby Silentservice.de » 02 Nov 2015, 18:16

Hi Phil,

seems a similar problem here:

After starting or rebooting a DAW with Logic 9.1.8 (on MacPro 2013, OS X 10.9.5 lastest, Copperlan 1.4(1)) with a saved Song (with VMidi-Configuration) the Vmidi Connections are not available any more. AL88c used here.

Every port must be reassigned to work properly. Loading a snapshot manually won´t help. Saving MIDI In Destinations won´t solve the problem too. Any ideas?

Best
Armin
Silentservice.de

Re: VMidi-Port not available

Postby CopperPhil » 02 Nov 2015, 21:09

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the problem.

Your problem seems to be related to Logic. I don't know Logic. What is going on with Logic when you load a song? Does it create virtual MIDI port that you are trying to use with your AL-88?

Which connections are not restored? From the VMIDI to the AL-88 or from the AL-88 to the VMIDI? In CopperLan, the connection source (the side sending the messages) is responsible of storing its connection target(s), so it is important for me to know what kind of connection is involved.

I need to understand the whole context of the problem in order to determine what could be the cause and give you an effective solution ;-)
CopperPhil

Postby sunmachine » 10 Nov 2015, 20:38

My guess is that he is referring to the assignments of the VMidi Ports within Logic.
I have the same problem with Studio One (on OS X).
To reproduce do the following:
1. Assign one or more CopperLan VMidi Ports in Studio One (in the External Devices Window).
2. Quit Studio One, log out and in again or reboot the machine.
3. Start Studio One.
=> The port assignments are gone.

When you only restart Studio One and don't log out or reboot it remembers the assignments just fine.
It also remembers assignments of the OS X IAC virtual MIDI Ports even after rebooting by the way. So maybe you can make this working with the CopperLan Ports as well. :)

(So, using the IAC Driver as an additional layer can be used as a workaround).
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, OS X 10.9.5
sunmachine

Postby synthifan » 20 Jul 2016, 21:17

Hi there,
same problem here after booting or rebooting my MacPro (late 2013).
I might be wrong but it seems that Logic, Studio One or other DAWs only save port assignments for devices with corresponding drivers in /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/ or ~/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/ or it has to do how CoreMIDI deals with attached devices.
At least, Logic tries to reassign as useful as possible the "orphaned" VMIDI ports by asking what to do. I just check the box "don't ask again during the session" and click "reassign". As I work with the German localisation the English version between the quote sign may be spelled slightly differently.
When opening a Logic project the first time after booting I only have to click two times - which is quite bearable ;-)
I hope that helps,
synthifan
MicroWave XTII, VL1m, K5000r, Wavestation A/D, K1r, Matrix1000, TX81Z, Casio VZ10m, K2500RS, A5000, EX5r, D110, Audity2000, JV880, FS1r, Xpander, SY99, WSA1, SuperJX, Nord Electro 4D, DIY 4Voice, DIY Modular; AL88, AL88c, MS512, MIDI Express128.
synthifan

Postby initself » 30 Jul 2016, 21:38

I also have the same problem. Loading a snapshot does not help. I am using CopperLan Manager v1.3, OS X 10.6.8.
initself

Postby CopperPhil » 30 Jul 2016, 22:38

Not sure about what happens on your computer, but maybe could try the latest version (V1.4.3) of CopperLan... we fixed several issues since the V1.3.

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby Mesmerised » 02 Aug 2016, 19:19

I'm having the same problem with Logic (v10 on MacOs 10.11.6) and I use the same solution that synthifan presented. It works, but it's annoying.

How long for CL V2 to come out? It's a long wait...
Mesmerised

Postby edemunari » 04 Aug 2016, 10:46

Hi
it seems I got the same problem on my early 08 Mac Pro with Mountain Lion OS X, with Pro Tools and 3 AL-88c.

Every time I power the Mac and the AL-88C the connection Mac and AL-88c are broken... they appear with the Mismatched Characters Name... I have always to disconnect all and reconnect all... after that my Pro Tools rig works flawessy. I first suspect a problem in DHCP network ip that whenever changed broke the connection, but using fixed IP never change the situation.
It happens also that the AL-88c went up and down without any apparently cause, and it seems that resetting it and reassign all the output solve the situation almost for a time period, randomly it happen again. I have 3 AL-88c and it happens randomly on each one so I don't think should be considered a AL-88c bug.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Eriberto
edemunari

Postby CopperPhil » 04 Aug 2016, 11:48

IP configuration has no impact on CopperLan network, it is using another protocol which is not IP based.

We recently discovered that the AL-88 can loose its outgoing connections if the target is not available for 1 minute after startup. This optional CopperLan behaviour has been activated in the AL-88 to avoid keeping connections to some gear that is no more present in the network.

=> if you turn on the AL-88, then the computer, and if the computer takes more than 1 minute to be connected to the CopperLan network, then the AL-88 forgets its connections pointing to the computer. But the computer keeps the connections to the AL-88 (the target auto-deletion is not activated in the computer software).

Can you check if turning on the computer and then the AL-88 changes something?
CopperPhil

Postby synthifan » 04 Aug 2016, 14:32

Hi Phil,

it doesn't matter if I boot the computer or the Alyseum interfaces first. I use CopperLAN 1.4.3.
I am still not sure if the problem is linked to Logic and other DAWs or to CoreMIDI and how it handles the attached physical or virtual devices. At least, all connections concerning devices which are present in Audio-MIDI-setup are correctly assigned in Logic after booting/rebooting - just not the VMIDI ones...

Cheers,
synthifan

Audio-MIDI-Setup.jpg
Audio-MIDI-Setup
MicroWave XTII, VL1m, K5000r, Wavestation A/D, K1r, Matrix1000, TX81Z, Casio VZ10m, K2500RS, A5000, EX5r, D110, Audity2000, JV880, FS1r, Xpander, SY99, WSA1, SuperJX, Nord Electro 4D, DIY 4Voice, DIY Modular; AL88, AL88c, MS512, MIDI Express128.
synthifan

Next

Return to Bug report