Copperlan Manager is totally broken ! What have you done ?

Copperlan Manager is totally broken ! What have you done ?

Postby Onosendai » 16 Apr 2017, 13:37

Guys, before 1.4.3 Copperlan Manager was rock solid, since then everything is wrong !

- No more ethernet interface
or
- Manager don't see any connection anymore
or
- MIDI from computer doesn't show, or i can't interfact with (can't choose how many virtual port i want)

My last message about this is quite old now, and nothing have change ! And i'm not the only one, i'm very upset because Copperlan is my main MIDI distributor and i can't use my studio anymore, please fix it !

I've tried to rollback to 1.4.3, i've tried to desinstall and reinstall : nothing work.

It's not professionnal at all.
Onosendai

Re: Copperlan Manager is totally broken ! What have you done

Postby CopperPhil » 17 Apr 2017, 00:01

I'm very sorry to ear about your issue.

But if it's still not working when you uninstall CopperLan and then reinstall the version 1.4.3, then maybe the problem is elsewhere.

The symptoms you describe correspond to a problem in the VNM (the service running in background which is managing the CopperLan network and handling the MIDI ports bridged to CopperLan). If this process is dead/frozen, then no CopperLan activity can occur on this computer.

In order to give you support, I need to know what is your configuration (Mac or PC?). Did you install recently any new MIDI software or hardware? Did you upgrade some driver? Did you upgrade your operating system?

I'm asking this because we already had similar issue before, especially on Mac after MacOSX upgrade. An AVID MIDI driver was not compatible with the brand new MacOSX version, but there was no warning during MacOSX upgrade. So this driver stopped working properly, causing a freeze of the CopperLan daemon. We had the same problem with Korg driver under Windows. At this point we can't do anything, we just rely on 3rd party software health.

So a problem with a new version of CopperLan is always possible, although very unlikely given that we have not changed anything recently to the management of MIDI ports. But in that case, if the new version is not working, then you should be able to rollback to a previous version that was working fine. If this old version is still not working, please tell me detailed information about your system (OS, machine configuration, kind of MIDI hardware/software you are using) so then I can guide you to find the origin of the problem.
CopperPhil

Postby Onosendai » 17 Apr 2017, 19:45

The problem is i've done nothing special, Ableton Live is my main DAW but i mainly use it to record hardware stuff, i don't use any specific software.

My specs :

PC / Windows 8.1 (automatic update)
Alyseum AL-88
Alyseum MS-812
Alyseum MS-4

Midi side : SSL Nucleus + Novation Launchpad + Keith MccMillen QuNexus
Hardware side : RME Madi FX

I've tried to restart the VNM service but it's dead/frozen, any advice how to find why ? I've tried to launch Copperlan Manager without all my hardware midi devices and it does nothing so, if i understand well, it should be a software midi problem but i can't find which one.
Onosendai

Postby Onosendai » 17 Apr 2017, 19:56

I've just done this

Uninstall/install 1.3 -> my ethernet device is invisible, can't choose it, my Copperland Manager is empty

Uninstall/install 1.4.3 -> stuck in the "Verifying Ethernet interface" window. When i close it and launch the manager, same as above, in the EDIT section i can see MIDI from my PC but can't interact with

Uninstall/install 1.4.5 -> same as above
Onosendai

Postby CopperPhil » 17 Apr 2017, 21:28

You are right, a frozen VNM can only be due to something going wrong in 3rd party driver handling. Till now we got this kind of problem only with some MIDI drivers, but we also rely on the Ethernet adapter driver so it is theoretically possible that this is making the VNM stuck.

Did you reboot the computer after CopperLan uninstall? Windows can keep handles on the files since the VNM is frozen, so uninstalling CopperLan could result in a partial service/driver removal until the next reboot.

Finally, just to be sure that the cleanup is performed properly, please try to:
- uninstall CopperLan,
- reboot,
- optionally, you can then:
- open the Device Manager and check that the "CopperLan Virtual MIDI Driver" is no more present in the "Sound, video and game controllers" section.
- open the "View Network Connections" panel, right-click on your Ethernet adapter, properties, then check that "CopperLan over Ethernet Protocol Driver" is no more present in the list.
- finally, re-install CopperLan

This should work. It is the standard recovery procedure we have been recommending for years and it has always worked so far...

If you are still unable to get CopperLan working again, it would be very interesting for me to get access to your computer through a remote desktop connection. I'm used to provide such support using Teamviewer or Chrome Remote Desktop.
CopperPhil

Postby Onosendai » 18 Apr 2017, 01:38

> Finally, just to be sure that the cleanup is performed properly, please try to

Done, nothing have change

> I'm used to provide such support using Teamviewer

Perfect, let's do this then
Onosendai

Postby CopperPhil » 18 Apr 2017, 08:18

Done, nothing have change

Really? That's crazy...

OK send me an email at pca@copperlan.org to schedule an appointment (tell me your time zone, preferred time, and if we can Skype).
CopperPhil

Return to Bug report