Re: VMIDI port renaming

Postby EvenDrones » 25 May 2016, 23:28

Any Update on the VMIDI port renaming ?
Kind regards
Chris
EvenDrones

Postby CopperPhil » 26 May 2016, 08:50

Not really. The code writing of the V1.5 is still in progress, operational but with a ugly user interface. Not yet ready to be distributed. We've been very busy with other developments as part of our partnership with Archwave & Cymatic Audio in recent months, but we still want to unlock the 1.5 as soon as possible.
CopperPhil

Postby verstaerker » 27 May 2016, 16:47

CopperPhil wrote:Not really. The code writing of the V1.5 is still in progress, operational but with a ugly user interface. Not yet ready to be distributed. We've been very busy with other developments as part of our partnership with Archwave & Cymatic Audio in recent months, but we still want to unlock the 1.5 as soon as possible.

good to hear ... just came here to check if there are news about a new version 8-)
verstaerker

Postby sam_binga » 20 Jul 2016, 20:06

verstaerker wrote:
CopperPhil wrote:Not really. The code writing of the V1.5 is still in progress, operational but with a ugly user interface. Not yet ready to be distributed. We've been very busy with other developments as part of our partnership with Archwave & Cymatic Audio in recent months, but we still want to unlock the 1.5 as soon as possible.

good to hear ... just came here to check if there are news about a new version 8-)

same here...
sam_binga

Postby abruzzi » 20 Jul 2016, 23:21

I'm very interested in this as well. My number one gripe with copperlan is that on MacOS it bypasses audio/midi setup. While I'm sure maintaining a consistent code base between Mac/Windows is important, on the Mac, if the VMidi ports showed up in audio/midi setup, then I could connect devices and port naming would be irrelevant.

Perhaps renamable VMidi ports will be a sufficient resolution, but if the ports show up in ams it would be perfect, and I'd ditch my 4 aging MTP-AVs and buy 4 AL88c's. (Yes, I have lots of outboard MIDI gear.)
abruzzi

Postby Mesmerised » 02 Aug 2016, 19:23

Same here. Can't wait for nameable ports that show up in Audio/Midi in OSX!
I have four AL88c and lots of connections.
Mesmerised

Postby abruzzi » 18 Sep 2016, 00:36

sunmachine wrote:On OS X you could use the IAC Driver as a workaround in the meantime.
So the routing is IAC MIDI Driver -> VMidi Port -> Al-88 (which adds an extra layer that can be removed later) or directly from the IAC Driver to the AL-88.

See the screenshot for an example how it shows up in Studio One.

cp-ica-driver.png

I was wondering if anyone has tried this. I haven't been able to get it to work at all. I've been dealing with the unnameable vmidi devices, and the fact that every time I launch an existing project in Logic X, the vmidi's on all MIDI channels have to be reset because they come up "missing" (even though they are there.) I've tried the setup two different ways: first creating a virtual MIDI cable from "IAC Driver TG33" to VMIDI1, and a second cable from VMIDI1 to the AL88c "PORT 8 Out: TG33". Second skipping the VMIDI middleman and connecting "IAC Driver TG33" directly to the AL88c with "PORT 8 Out: TG33".

What happens when I create an external instrument track in Logic and set the MIDI port to "IAC Driver TG33" is this: in the first case, nothing at all. I don't see the MIDI link blink when I play on the master keyboard. Then I change the MIDI port to VMIDI1, and it plays fine (just checking). Change the port back to "IAC Driver TG33" and configure the copperlan manager to skip the VMIDI middleman. Now when I play the master keyboard I get a horrible screeching that won't go away and MIDI Buffer Full messages on the screen of the synth.

After a little more investigation, I'm not positive, but I don't think it a copperlan problem. I can disconnect everything in copperlan manager, in logic I create the external instrument pointed to the unconnected IAC Driver, and I inject some MIDI using the musical typing keyboard, and off it goes. (I cant hear anything, but I see the loop in the MIDI Monitor application.) So I know logic listens for any and all MIDI Ins, so it seems for some reason the IAC driver is looping its input through to its output, then logic sees the note at the output and loops it back to the input. If anyone has made this work, I'd love to see how you worked around the problem. I could disable Logic from listening to certain MIDI outs, but that not really a solution.
abruzzi

Previous

Return to Feature request