VMIDI port renaming

VMIDI port renaming

Postby Silentservice.de » 24 Jul 2015, 11:10

Hey guys,

I´m an Alyseum reseller and systems integrator focussed on score composers in southern Germany.

We´re about to switch all of our customers from conventional MIDI interfacing via USB to CopperLan based products. One main issue for our costumers (mainly sequencing in Apple Logic) is that the VMIDI ports can´t be renamed. This is not a small issue but a crucial feature. All external gear needs to show up with reasonable naming and sorting functions. Can you give me a timeframe when this support will be available?

Best
Armin
Silentservice.de

Re: VMIDI port renaming

Postby CopperPhil » 26 Jul 2015, 23:32

Hi,

We are working on a brand new MIDI management for CopperLan. No more need to use the CopperLan Manager to configure MIDI ports or manage the connections. The MIDI settings will be accessible directly from an icon in the Systray (Windows) or the menu bar (Mac, similarly to Dropbox, Google Drive, etc...).

This VMIDI port renaming request is on top of our to-do list. Please let us know if you have other ideas that could enhance the user experience.

We should launch beta-testing between August and September, the final release will come as soon we have no more bug report or change requirement from the testers.

Many thanks for your interest in CopperLan!
CopperPhil

Postby chrisfoster » 28 Jul 2015, 06:27

Hi Phil,

Does this mean we have to test my 40 port Motu hardware set-up all over again? :o

How about iPAD integration now they have Native audio/midi over USB?

Cheers,

Chris
chrisfoster

Postby CopperPhil » 28 Jul 2015, 07:23

you know, the current implementation is quite old (2008)... it is time to refresh the code and apply some required modifications (such as VMIDI renaming) needing deep code changes.

we will do a lot of test and use the community to beta test in a huge number of situations.

we are currently evaluating what could be done under its.
CopperPhil

Postby Silentservice.de » 30 Jul 2015, 08:28

CopperPhil wrote:
This VMIDI port renaming request is on top of our to-do list. Please let us know if you have other ideas that could enhance the user experience.

We should launch beta-testing between August and September, the final release will come as soon we have no more bug report or change requirement from the testers.

Very good! If possible count me in for the beta phase.

Best
Armin
Silentservice.de

Postby Scoox_ » 04 Nov 2015, 08:30

First post here, I just discovered CopperLan on a Gearslutz user's recommendation, and coming from MIDI-OX + loopMIDI this seems to be a very powerful tool. The main thing I am missing is port renaming.

Slightly off topic, the other two things I am missing is multi-client virtual ports (loopMIDI's virtual ports are) and the ability to create any number of ports dynamically, again like loopMIDI, rather than forcing the number of ports to be a multiple of 4, and be limited to a maximum of 32.

Thank you!
Scoox_

Postby sunmachine » 10 Nov 2015, 20:24

On OS X you could use the IAC Driver as a workaround in the meantime.
So the routing is IAC MIDI Driver -> VMidi Port -> Al-88 (which adds an extra layer that can be removed later) or directly from the IAC Driver to the AL-88.

See the screenshot for an example how it shows up in Studio One.

cp-ica-driver.png
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, OS X 10.9.5
sunmachine

Postby verstaerker » 12 Nov 2015, 13:27

CopperPhil wrote:We should launch beta-testing between August and September, the final release will come as soon we have no more bug report or change requirement from the testers.

any update on this - any need for more beta-testers? i'd be glad to help with this
verstaerker

Postby CopperPhil » 12 Nov 2015, 13:53

Yes sure, all volunteers are welcome :-)

But we are a bit late, too much work on the bench...
CopperPhil

Postby auricle » 04 Dec 2015, 21:13

Hi,

Any updates on the VMIDI port renaming?

Also, I read an old thread to say that you don't plan on making VMIDI ports multi-client as it's possible to route between different VMIDI ports which are assigned to different applications. I know this is possible but it's certainly confusing to an idiot like me. Do you ever plan on making the VMIDI ports multi-client in the future?
auricle

Next

Return to Feature request