Multi-Client CopperLan ports

Multi-Client CopperLan ports

Postby meedee11 » 06 Dec 2015, 16:01

Hi,
I read that a new CopperLan version is coming soon.
That's why I wanted to ask how it looks now with "multi-client-ports-functionality"...
In the past, the "standard" Windows midi-ports were not multi-client, but every "better" Midi Interface"
had/has (independent) multi-client drivers.
BTW, also ipMIDI is multiclient ...

I can still remember, you wanted to add this functionality... but later (around 2013) you
have decided to leave it (--> not multi-client)...
(I must confess that i had lost a little interest on CopperLan after this statement)

I know, there is a "tricky"-way to compensate the lack of the "multi-client-ports-functionality"
in CopperLan...using the CopperLan merge/split functionalities...
This solution would be possibly a "replacement" if so 2 t- 4 ports were needed...
but, for example, at 8-16 ports? ...or more (!?)...
a absolute "no-go-area" this way...

But now I read everywhere that the new Win10 has finally "standard" multiclient midi drivers (!)
Therefore i wanted to ask, how it looks NOW with "multi-client-ports-functionality"...
I've not tried out the new Win10 yet BTW...

(and BTW, i just noticed that this "multi client" feature was also mentioned in the
"VMIDI port renaming" Thread...)
meedee11

Re: Multi-Client CopperLan ports

Postby CopperPhil » 06 Dec 2015, 21:34

Hi,

I understand your point of view, but we have to make some changes in the CopperLan VMIDI driver to get it multi-client. This is a very tricky task that could consume a lot of time in coding then testing. Our current driver is working fine for years and making changes on it is not in our top priority list at the moment. We will certainly do it in the future, but not shortly.
CopperPhil

Postby meedee11 » 09 Dec 2015, 00:28

Thanks for the response.
I remember, you once mentioned, that on the Mac the CopperLan Ports are multi-client,
because it has to do with "how the Midi-drivers-management works on the Mac-OS..."
As I already mentioned, i read that Windows10 now provides a similar "Midi-drivers-management"
therefore, the Midi-drivers are multi-client "by default" in Win10.

Would that mean, that (in Win10) all "normal" Midi-drivers are multi-client now,
but the CopperLan-Midi-drivers are still (preliminary) "single-client" ?
(even the new CopperLan-version, on which you work?)
meedee11

Postby CopperPhil » 09 Dec 2015, 09:19

I just made a test, without any CopperLan involved, I tried to open a MIDI keyboard from FL-Studio and MIDI-OX under Win10 => it is not working.

The new MIDI multi-client support announced with Win10 seems not to be available with legacy applications using the standard way of managing MIDI ports. It is only available for new developments based on a new set of API, based on .Net platform and under Win10 only (however we are not using .Net and we have to support Win Vista, 7, 8, and 10).
CopperPhil

Return to Feature request