CopperLan for Win98SE and general conn/instal-videoexamples

CopperLan for Win98SE and general conn/instal-videoexamples

Postby meedee11 » 26 Apr 2011, 20:04

Hi,
I would have a wish for the future...
...that would be a connection-possibility to PC/PCs with Windows 98 installed (Win98SE)...
So more or less a CopperLan-version for Win98 (Win98SE).
This has two reasons (for me);
1.There are many many MIDI programs, Patch-editors etc...(Programs only run under Win9x ...)
2.I often use the soft-synth SeerSystems "Reality"
(This soft-synth is 14 years old now, but still better than almost all current Software-synths (!)
Unfortunately it only runs under Win9x...
By the way, the Win98 (Win98SE) OS is one of the "3 major operating systems"
(I mean Windows based-PCs here, not MAC), when it comes to "Music-PCs"...
...therefore:
1. Win98SE ("Music-PC-standard of yesterday")
2. WinXP sp3 ("Music-PC-standard of today" ...or better "still-Music-PC-standard of today"...)
3. Win7 ("Music-PC-standard of tomorrow")
So, I think that the CopperLan-connection between the 3 Win-operating systems is important.
It may be a "stripped down"-version of the CopperLan-manager for this OS, with a "basic"
MIDI-functionality and not the "complete/extensive" CopperLan-version (like for WinXP, Win7 etc.)...
...only "basic" "CopperLan"-Midi-connection between Win98SE PCs and the "modern" operating systems for PCs, MACs etc...

Finally,
some videos with CopperLan-connections- and install-examples (on CopperLan.org) would not be bad :-)
meedee11

Re: CopperLan for Win98SE and general conn/instal-videoexamp

Postby Copperhead » 27 Apr 2011, 09:00

Hello,

Thank you for suggesting CopperLan to cover even more platforms than it does already ;)
Alas, Windows 98 is not supported by Microsoft for some time now. The surveys and talks we had with the industry in the recent years revealed that Win98 is very marginal these days so that we will not support it.
However, all is not lost:
I guess that your intent is to have your Win98 applications widely accessible to and from other computers, keyboards, etc.
A solution is to use the existing MIDI interfaces you have on your Win98 computer(s), connect them through MIDI cables to either:
    * the MIDI interfaces of some XP/Vista/Seven or MAC computer(s) with CopperLan installed
    * or autonomous CopperLan interfaces such as those from Alyseum
This would allow everything you run on Win98 to be part of your CopperLan setup at wide.

As for videos and tutorials about using the CopperLan Manager, yes, you're right; it wouldn't harm adding some :oops:
Copperhead
Site Admin

Postby meedee11 » 28 Apr 2011, 20:10

That's unfortunate :(
>
> I guess that your intent is to have your Win98 applications widely accessible
> to and from other computers,...

...yes

>
> A solution is to use the existing MIDI interfaces you have on your Win98 computer(s),
> connect them through MIDI cables...

...That's the connection I've at the moment. :|

I was hoping that a "basic/stripped down"-CopperLan-manager"(for Win98SE) would be
"relatively easy" to implement (in contrast, for example to Linux),
because you already have an adaptation for 32bit-Windows... ;)
Then, it would be possible there (on Win98SE-PC) to run all the MIDI-software (which was
programmed for Win3.x, Win95, Win98...) (and, by the way, my previously mentioned soft-synth :mrgreen: )
and to use CopperLan for connection to other computers... :P

Maybe if the CopperLan-final-version for WinXP/Win7/Linux is out
and maybe if you get bored then... :D ...Please consider this.
That would be really very useful. :!:
meedee11

Postby CopperPhil » 29 Apr 2011, 08:40

Hi,

Well, it is not as simple as running a legacy MIDI application...

The CopperLan Manager itself can be ported quite easily under Windows 98, it is simply an application. But the core of CopperLan is a service running in background (you don't need to run CopperLan Manager to make CopperLan alive on your computer) and using specific drivers for MIDI virtual ports and Ethernet communication. The big job would be to port these drivers under Win98... Really, not so easy :? Making Windows drivers is a hard job, and unfortunately Win98 driver model is not compliant with the one used from WinXP. It might consume a lot of time, and for the moment we need to focus all of our time and resources on the final release of CopperLan.

Sincerely I'm sorry to be unable to respond to your request :|
CopperPhil

Postby abaudio » 11 Feb 2013, 21:05

Too bad, I was hoping to find the same thing...
abaudio

Postby Craig Borten » 30 Oct 2013, 13:54

Yeah, I can certainly understand your feelings. Once we get comfortable to a software it is hard to let it go. Especially if it is way better than the later versions. I too have felt it but mainly with the various games that I play.

Return to Feature request