Multiple Ethernet interfaces?

Multiple Ethernet interfaces?

Postby arakula » 07 Mar 2012, 22:41

I've noticed that you can only select one Ethernet interface in the CopperLan manager. Is this a permanent restriction, or do you have plans to extend this?
arakula

Re: Multiple Ethernet interfaces?

Postby CopperPhil » 08 Mar 2012, 11:06

It is a technical limitation. The Virtual Network Manager (VNM = the service handling a virtual CopperLan network inside the computer and managing network extension to other machines) is able to control only one Ethernet interface. We have to develop a CopperLan router in order to be able to handle multiple interfaces, because in this case the computer becomes a node between two sub-networks. It is a project, moving up and down in the to-do list, but not in our priority list.

CopperLan is not IP based. The Machines are identified by their MAC address only, I'm pretty sure it's possible to bridge multiple Ethernet interfaces. There is an option for that under Windows, I guess it's also the case for Mac. So the VNM controls only one Ethernet interface, but the CopperLan network is expended over the two physical networks. But take care that bridging the two physical networks does not create a mess related to the IP protocol!

/Phil
CopperPhil

Return to Feature request