Beta 2.0(11): Last value of Selector parameter duplicated

Beta 2.0(11): Last value of Selector parameter duplicated

Postby sunmachine » 29 Dec 2013, 17:57

When I create a Selector parameter within a MIDI Target the last item of the value list is duplicated in the CopperLan Manager.

There's also something weird going on here. I defined a MIDI Target with a Selector that has two items.
After creating another MIDI Target, I got these two item values in a newly created Selector parameter (together with its second item, so the first item was replaced by the two of the other MIDI Target). That is, they show up in the CopperLan Manager, not the CopperPlug Editor.

BTW, where can I assign a CC number to a Selector parameter?
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, OS X 10.9.5
sunmachine

Re: Beta 2.0(11): Last value of Selector parameter duplicate

Postby sunmachine » 29 Dec 2013, 18:58

sunmachine wrote:There's also something weird going on here. I defined a MIDI Target with a Selector that has two items.
After creating another MIDI Target, I got these two item values in a newly created Selector parameter (together with its second item, so the first item was replaced by the two of the other MIDI Target). That is, they show up in the CopperLan Manager, not the CopperPlug Editor.

Restarting the CopperLan Manager solves this (but not the problem with duplicated values... these are back then...).

Also, changing the value of the second or third selector box changes the content of the first selector list in the following example:

This happens for modifiers, too. That is, when the first parameter is a Modifier, it is changed when you move one of the other ones.

Note also, that the value of the modifiers aren't displayed correctly in the above example.
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, OS X 10.9.5
sunmachine

Re: Beta 2.0(11): Last value of Selector parameter duplicate

Postby CopperPhil » 29 Dec 2013, 22:44

Haaa yes... it's a border effect actually. Unlike plug-ins, the MIDI Target does not know the current parameter value. And by default it is set to an arbitrary value which is not matching any of the selector values. The result is not exactly a duplicate. If you launch the CopperLan Manager in Developer mode (from the console, with "-developer" argument) it is revealing the numeric value for each selector item, and the additional item has a value 0xFFFF (65535).

MIDI is conceptually unidirectional, so the MIDI Target just knows the last value sent to the MIDI port and considers it as the current value. But if the parameter value changed after a program-change for example, or due to some action on the MIDI equipment front panel, the MIDI Target has no way to notify it to the controllers.

It's really boring, but I don't see what could be done here... I can notify to the controller when I believe that the current value is out of sync, so the controller can use an alternate display mode. But....

Any idea?
CopperPhil

Return to Bug report