Description field for MIDI Targets

Description field for MIDI Targets

Postby sunmachine » 03 Feb 2014, 21:33

I think it would come in handy to have an additional text field for the MIDI Targets where you can describe how to set up the MIDI device (if some initial setup steps are required, e. g. selecting a particular preset).
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, OS X 10.9.5
sunmachine

Re: Description field for MIDI Targets

Postby sunmachine » 09 Feb 2014, 20:05

It would also be nice to have the ability to display the MIDI messages that are defined for the controls (in the CopperLan Manager). Either by displaying the corresponding message below the control name for example (on demand, i. e. you can switch it on and off) or by generating a PDF or HTML page where you can see the complete mapping. Having both ways would be great IMO. :)
sunmachine

Postby CopperPhil » 09 Feb 2014, 21:17

You have good ideas :-) I'm filling the to-do list each time you post a new message, it grows faster than it decreases :?

Did you know that you can launch the CopperLan Manager in "developer mode"? Just start it with the "-developer" command line argument. Then you get additional information in the Edit tab, amongst others the message number is displayed next to the parameter name.

BTW once you have created a MIDITarget parameter bridging CopperLan to some MIDI message, you don't need to know this MIDI message anymore. A MIDI controller can be CopperLanized (CopperLan controllers can be created for any knob generating CC messages) and than you can use the SmartConnect or remote assignement to bind these controllers to the MIDITarget parameters without worrying about any number information.
CopperPhil

Postby sunmachine » 09 Feb 2014, 23:57

Yes, once everything is mapped, the mapping isn't very interesting anymore, but I'm thinking of the initial set up of the mapping. So when somebody downloads a MIDI Target definition file, he or she maybe has to set up the corresponding device manually.

Thanks for the reminder of the developer mode. I forgot about it...
But it doesn't display the assigned MIDI messages, does it?
Here it shows something like [0xfffd].

I'll post more ideas soon ;-)
By the way, did you get my PM?
sunmachine

Return to Feature request