Notes Piling Up in Cubase

Re: Notes Piling Up in Cubase

Postby CopperPhil » 14 May 2013, 06:45

We did performance tests on the AL-88, it is able to support full-speed MIDI simultaneously on all of its ports. But... at MIDI speed each message takes around 1ms. So a chord takes around 4 or 5 ms. The human ear is able to distinct timing variations from around 10ms. So if you mix the musical stream with CC messages incoming from a not clamped controller (sending hundreds of messages per second), of course you'll feel something bad in the music. It's a common issue while merging computer controllers (virtual or USB) with hardware using MIDI cable. You don't have this issue using virtual instrument or using native CopperLan devices because they are not limited by the MIDI speed.

That said, this is only one explanation. It is also possible that the AL-88 is defective. To be sure, you can do the same experience using a simple USB-MIDI device.
CopperPhil

Postby Copperhead » 14 May 2013, 09:25

From our past tests of this AL-88 interface, we've not encountered any problem of overload even under musically unrealistic heavy loads. If there is a scenario you can easily duplicate in different contexts (e.g. using different DAWs) that show the problem, you should submit it to the manufacturer: http://www.alyseum.com
Copperhead
Site Admin

Postby initself » 14 May 2013, 19:02

Hahah, I'm not complaining about the feel getting a little off. I'm talking about my sequence becoming a train wreck when I move the wheel on a single channel from top to bottom.

I'll setup another test for myself and see If I can give you or Alyseum more information to work with.
initself

Previous

Return to Questions