GECO + CopperLan + Ableton

GECO + CopperLan + Ableton

Postby Kalatsch » 06 Dec 2013, 03:54

Hi all!

Can anyone help me set up a connection GECO with Ableton 9.1 thru CopperLan?
Short tutor step by step, please! )))
Kalatsch

Re: GECO + CopperLan + Ableton

Postby CopperPhil » 06 Dec 2013, 09:27

You have to setup a virtual MIDI cable between a VMIDI port (e.g. VMIDI1) and another one (e.g. VMIDI2), use VMIDI1 as output port in Geco and VMIDI2 as input port in Ableton. BTW Geco and Ableton can be located on different computers.

About Geco configuration, I suggest you contact the guy making Geco. He's usually very prompt to support his customers!

See http://www.uwyn.com/geco/support/

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby Kalatsch » 07 Dec 2013, 19:45

Yes, it work, but only if I use midi-mode in GECO.

If try use CPL mode in like in documentation of GECO (When you select the CPL output channel for a particular gesture, you'll notice that a red rectangle surrounds the channel. This means that GECO is listening through CopperLan to any other control that will be moved. As soon as you change the position of a control on a CopperLan-enabled device or application, GECO will automatically pick it up and assign it as the target of the gesture. This really makes setting up gesture mappings extremely convenient, just change the channel and twiddle the knob you want to control, ... done.) it doesn't work.

Btw, Geert Bevin from GECO said: "I'm wondering why you're trying to connect to Live through it. Afaik, Live doesn't support CopperLan." (?!)
Kalatsch

Postby CopperPhil » 07 Dec 2013, 20:19

Yes indeed, Live is not yet supporting CopperLan, so you have to use Geco in MIDI mode.

The Geco CopperLan mode is designed to control CopperLan target, such as a plugin through the CopperPlug wrapper, or a native CopperLan hardware like the MS-812.

The reason is: in CopperLan, there is a strong relationship between a Controller and a remote controlled Paramater. The Controller is learning the message to send in order to be understood by the target parameter in a transparent way, the user don't have to worry about numbers, types or anything else. Just connect a Controller to a Parameter and that's it. But it's not possible to connect such auto-configured Controller to a target not exposing any parameter like a MIDI port.

However the CopperLan offer would be including an enhanced CopperLan-to-MIDI bridge very soon, exposing virtual Parameters relaying incoming CopperLan control messages to standard MIDI messages. You'll be able to use Geco in CopperLan mode with this bridge.
CopperPhil

Postby Kalatsch » 07 Dec 2013, 22:12

I'll wait impatiently!

THX!
Kalatsch

Return to Questions