Copperlan with two computers (protools & ableton)

Copperlan with two computers (protools & ableton)

Postby owenpratt » 07 May 2012, 16:11

Hi there,

we're really excited about copperlan and are trying to test it but are looking for some help setting it up. at the moment we are trying to connect two computers with copperlan, one running Ableton, one running Pro tools. Copperlan Manager is installed on both computers and we have connected them together via an ethernet switch. we don't see the other computers in the copperlan manager so cannot make any virtual midi connections. The time at the bottom left of the manager is also not in sync.

* when Copperlan Manager launches, it asks us to setup an interface but we are unsure of what "en1" "en2" and "en3" refer to in the ethernet interface section and which one we should select
* both computers are intel macs
* the switch is a ::
PROSAFE® 8-PORT GIGABIT ETHERNET DESKTOP SWITCH 10/100/1000 MBPS
GS108

any assistance in setting this up would be most welcome, we're really excited about Copperlan and are planning to buy the alyseum ms8-12 interface and implement it more extensively if it works for us after we have tested it .

hope to hear from you soon

Owen
owenpratt

Re: Copperlan with two computers (protools & ableton)

Postby owenpratt » 07 May 2012, 18:37

I have read that "en0" is my laptop's ethernet port, "en1" is the wireless connection , "en2" and "en3" may have been created by something like parallels.
on the g5 i suspect "en0" and "en1" are the two ethernet ports on the back of the mac and "en2" is the wireless connection.

Will get a chance to test this later and will report back
owenpratt

Postby CopperPhil » 07 May 2012, 21:35

Hi Owen,

Yes indeed, on Mac systems, en0 is the primary Ethernet port and en1 is usually the WIFI.

So it should be ok as soon you select the right port on both computers ;)
CopperPhil

Postby owenpratt » 14 May 2012, 15:33

Thats great thanks! yes got it all working. once the right ports are selected its really easy to setup and can report that sync between ableton and Pro tools was finally tight! Managed to get ableton to slave to Pro Tools via midi beat clock. also had an SSL matrix on the network (which uses IP midi ) and there was no noticeable interfence between that and copperlan.
owenpratt

Postby owenpratt » 14 May 2012, 15:34

sorry I meant 'interference'. ..
owenpratt

Postby CopperPhil » 14 May 2012, 18:58

Great! Thanks for the feedback! :)

/Phil
CopperPhil

Return to General