MIDI port not routing MIDI data?

MIDI port not routing MIDI data?

Postby Spankenstein » 25 Jun 2012, 23:09

I have enabled 32 MIDI ports using the CopperLan Manager application. These then show up in my device dialog window as 'VMidi1' through 'VMidi32'

When I select 'VMidi1' in my software and send a note on message to SAVIHost (VST Host) with 'VMidi1' selected as the device input, nothing happens. If I use another virtual MIDI device (LoopBe Internal MIDI) then the message is received.

Why does the message not send/receive on the same computer correctly using the 'VMidi1' device, is the MIDI port not the equivalent of a virtual MIDI device with 16 channels of communication?
Spankenstein

Re: MIDI port not routing MIDI data?

Postby CopperPhil » 25 Jun 2012, 23:46

Hi,

Actually, the virtual MIDI ports are bridges allowing to connect applications through the CopperLan network.

When you select VMidi1 in your emiting application, you just tell it to send MIDI message to a "MIDI to CopperLan" bridge. When you select VMidi1 in your target application, you tell it to receive MIDI from a "CopperLan to MIDI" bridge. Both have the same name (just like "physical" MIDI devices offering MIDI In&Out ports) but they are not automatically connected together.

You must use the CopperLan Manager, Connector tab, to create a Virtual MIDI cable between VMidi1 and VMidi1.

well... using two ports with the same name make it confused. Let's retry with two distinct ports. Your sending application is running on computer A and is using VMidi1; and the receiving application is running on computer B using VMidi2.

Then in the CopperLan Manager, you have to select the VMidi1 device behind the "MIDI on computer A" and create a virtual MIDI cable to the VMidi2 behind "MIDI on computer B".

You can also make patching on a channel basis instead of creating a full MIDI cable.
CopperPhil

Re: MIDI port not routing MIDI data?

Postby Spankenstein » 25 Jun 2012, 23:49

Got it! It works now.

Thank you for your quick response. :)
Spankenstein

Return to General