How to Connect iPad to Cubase via Copperlan

How to Connect iPad to Cubase via Copperlan

Postby giuliano » 14 Feb 2013, 12:12

Hi,
I'd like to connect an iPad app (Genome Midi Sequencer) via wifi to Cubase (Cubase is on a PC)
The PC is connected to the internet via ethernet cable, the iPad is on the same network via wifi.
On the PC I've installed Copperlan manager.
The same scenario works with rtpMidi but with Copperlan I really don't understand how to connect Genome or any other midi app to cubase via Copperlan

Do I need to install Copperlan manager app on the iPad too?

Do you have a short tutorial on how to get things work?
Thanks in advance
giuliano

Re: How to Connect iPad to Cubase via Copperlan

Postby Copperhead » 18 Feb 2013, 13:21

Hello,

The quality of WiFi connections is too variable to guarantee a short and predictable latency.
Therefore we only use CopperLan over WiFi for editing and monitoring, not for musical performance messages.
Copperhead
Site Admin

Postby giuliano » 18 Feb 2013, 21:33

But it could be possible?
giuliano

Postby CopperPhil » 19 Feb 2013, 10:05

It is not yet possible to connect non-CopperLan iPad application to the CopperLan network. Some Apple limitations are preventing us to do so in an efficient way, so we prefer to avoid providing half a solution.

However we are working on several alternative solutions allowing to bridge iOS MIDI ports to CopperLan (for legacy MIDI applications) and to bring efficiently CopperLan to applications using it natively. It might not be based on WIFI for the reason given by Copperhead. This is still under R&D and no release date is planned.
CopperPhil

Return to General