Another new user setup question

Another new user setup question

Postby Phase2600 » 27 Aug 2015, 01:29

Hi, I've got a pretty complicated MIDI setup with a couple dozen synths and a bunch of other MIDI devices, currently using four MOTU MIDI Express 128s. I've replaced one of the MOTUs with an AL-88c for testing and if all goes well I'm going to replace the other 128s with AL-88c's. I've been looking through the manual and looking around the forum, and although the crazy routing stuff you can do with CopperLan is cool and I might want to use some of those features at some point I'm mainly interested in a very simple usage case.

Basically I want to connect my synths to the AL-88c and have them show up in Cubase or Ableton with a human-readable name (like "ARP 2600 Kenton" rather than VMIDI1). I have so many synths that I'm not going to be able to remember that VMIDI22 is a Pro 2 or whatever. So how can I configure the AL-88c's physical MIDI ports to show up in my DAW with a friendly name like I do in the Mac Audio MIDI Setup -> MIDI Studio where I can rename each physical port on the Express 128s? I don't need any direct MIDI device to MIDI device routing, I just need a virtual MIDI port that is visible to other programs and connected to a matching pair of physical ports on the AL-88c with a user-defined name.

I'm on a Mac Pro running 10.9.5 Mavericks btw.

Thanks!
Phase2600

Re: Another new user setup question

Postby CopperPhil » 27 Aug 2015, 06:45

hi

renaming the virtual midi port is not possible with the current version. but it is requested by many users and we are working to include this in a next release.

/phil
CopperPhil

Postby Phase2600 » 28 Aug 2015, 10:17

Thanks for the response. Got everything working today, MIDI is working great bidirectionally from the other room with just an Ethernet cable. Big improvement from running a bunch of wires, but will stick with three 128s until the virtual MIDI ports can be renamed. Initial setup is a bit daunting but CopperLan works like a charm.
Phase2600

Postby sunmachine » 10 Nov 2015, 20:49

Phase2600 wrote:Thanks for the response. Got everything working today, MIDI is working great bidirectionally from the other room with just an Ethernet cable. Big improvement from running a bunch of wires, but will stick with three 128s until the virtual MIDI ports can be renamed. Initial setup is a bit daunting but CopperLan works like a charm.

You can also use the IAC Driver of OS X to name your ports. No need to wait for the new version. So go and buy more ALs ;)
See my post here: viewtopic.php?p=1392#p1392
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, OS X 10.9.5
sunmachine

Return to General