Bug or user error?: Virtual ports forget their inputs

Bug or user error?: Virtual ports forget their inputs

Postby Mesmerised » 30 Aug 2015, 19:20

I have a copperlan MIDI network with four AL-88c and one Mac pro (OS 10.9.5)
I have installed the current CL package (Manager is 1.4(1))

I can connect and rename ports (only on the AL-88c's of course) and all is working fine and the interfaces remember their settings correctly.
But when I connect the 32 virtual MIDI ports to the respective inputs/outputs of the AL-88c's (64 single connections to make!), the inputs to the virtual ports are lost after restart/power down. The outputs from the computer to the AL-88c seem to be still there.
Am I missing something or is this a bug?
Mesmerised

Re: Bug or user error?: Virtual ports forget their inputs

Postby CopperPhil » 30 Aug 2015, 20:15

I think that this is a known bug for the AL88.

In CopperLan, it is up to the sender to recall its destinations. The AL88 do that at startup, but the destinations are dropped if still not available after one minute. It could be the case if your computer is the target, it can take more than one minute to boot.

the solution would be to start the computer, then the AL88.
CopperPhil

Postby Mesmerised » 31 Aug 2015, 00:26

Ah, OK. I figured that I can load a snapshot after starting the computer. Then it works.

Why is it, that the Copperlan Midi ports are not shown in audio/midi-setup?

Another problem seems to be that Logic pro X sends some ugly stuff out of the Midi outs during startup that drives my synths crazy. I'll have to check out which messages. (but the Midi system of Logic is really screwed up anyway - they need to fix this)
Mesmerised

Postby verstaerker » 06 Nov 2015, 12:10

Mesmerised wrote:I have a copperlan MIDI network with four AL-88c and one Mac pro (OS 10.9.5)

I can connect and rename ports (only on the AL-88c's of course) and all is working fine and the interfaces remember their settings correctly.
But when I connect the 32 virtual MIDI ports to the respective inputs/outputs of the AL-88c's (64 single connections to make!), the inputs to the virtual ports are lost after restart/power down. The outputs from the computer to the AL-88c seem to be still there.

i ran into the same issue .. once you have setup everything you have to go to edit- select the AL-88c and hit Save
verstaerker

Postby Infa Red » 31 Mar 2016, 03:06

verstaerker wrote:
Mesmerised wrote:I have a copperlan MIDI network with four AL-88c and one Mac pro (OS 10.9.5)

i ran into the same issue .. once you have setup everything you have to go to edit- select the AL-88c and hit Save

I have the same problem, but I did save, several times ! Still loses all the cable drawing I have to do every time I power down, then back up. :-( Every time I start my rig back up (similar gear to the OP's except I use Pro Tools) my midi doesn't work until I go back and look and I see all the cables are gone ! I then redo them all again, and it works.

Can't Copperlan just remember and save what cabling I draw and even if AL-88c loses it, Copperlan just puts it back once its launched again ? This is frustrating. Any new solution to this ? Please help.
Infa Red

Postby CopperPhil » 31 Mar 2016, 10:54

As said before, the Al88 is dropping the connection if the target is no more available for 1 minute.

The problem should not occur if you start the computer, and then the AL88.

But anyway you can use the "snapshot" feature of CopperLan manager to save and restore the current config.
CopperPhil

Postby JimMcJimbo » 27 Feb 2018, 11:58

> As said before, the Al88 is dropping the connection if the target is no more available for 1 minute.

This is super annoying. I wish copperlan didn't do that. It wouldn't be so bad if the copperlan editor wasn't a slow, laggy and fiddly application to use. I want to turn my computer on and start recording ASAP. I don't want to mess around recalling MIDI setups every time I forget to power down my setup in the correct order.

> But anyway you can use the "snapshot" feature of CopperLan manager to save and restore the current config.

If this is the best solution, please give us a way to restore a snap shot from the command line. That way I can include a script on the desktop to quickly load the appropriate snap shot.
JimMcJimbo

Postby verstaerker » 04 Mar 2018, 11:44

i free it can sometimes be a bit tricky to properly restore all connections correctly

but what definitely works here is:

after changes to the setup switch to Edit Mode , go to each interface settings and hit Save
than store a snapshot

by doing so it properly restores in 95% of the cases the whole setup at startup

but yes sometimes it still forgets some connection - so yes there is some room for improvement
especially for a safe and easy save function
verstaerker

Return to General