Losing connection to AL-88c?

Losing connection to AL-88c?

Postby sunmachine » 10 Nov 2015, 21:16

I got a second Al-88c recently for my brand new Computer that hat six MIDI outs. It's an ATARI 1040STE. :mrgreen:

So here's my issue. CopperLan seems to lose the connection to both AL-88c from time to time as can be seen in the animation (at around 0:17 and 1:20):

This was really annoying when I tried to route the ATARI-AL-88c to the other one that is connected to my sound modules. It often happened that both of them disappeared just before I could select the final destination in the CopperLan Manager Device Tree (in the new version it will be easier and quicker to make connections I guess :)).
The disappearing was more frequent as in the above example by the way...

Well, actually this was just a little annoying but not a showstopper because I eventually succeeded in making the routing. ;)
But a real problem is, that the actual connections between the two AL-88c seems to be lost after a while, too (although still shown in the CopperLan Manager). I connected three ports of the ATARI-AL-88c to three ports of the Rack-AL88-c. After a while all of a sudden one of the ports didn't work anymore while another one still worked.
I'll try to provide you with more details after doing some more testing.

CopperLan Version 1.4(1). There's no firmware update showing up for the ALs.
The animation was done without the ATARI being turned on. So I had just the two ALs, the network switch and my MacBook Pro in this setup.

Any idea what's going on here?
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, OS X 10.9.5
sunmachine

Re: Losing connection to AL-88c?

Postby sunmachine » 20 May 2016, 19:27

sunmachine wrote:But a real problem is, that the actual connections between the two AL-88c seems to be lost after a while, too (although still shown in the CopperLan Manager). I connected three ports of the ATARI-AL-88c to three ports of the Rack-AL88-c. After a while all of a sudden one of the ports didn't work anymore while another one still worked.
I'll try to provide you with more details after doing some more testing.

OK, I found the reason why the connections are getting lost. It happens after pressing Stop twice in Notator. When you do that, Notator is sending out some messages on all channels to stop all notes, reset controllers and stuff like that (CC 121, CC 123, CC 01, CC 64, PitchBend and Channel AT).

When pressing Stop only once, Notator is only sending CC 121 and CC 123 on all channels. The connections aren't lost in this case, but I noticed that the messages for all channels are received although I only connected one outgoing channel of the ATARI-AL-88c to one incoming channel of the other Al-88c. Why is that?
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, OS X 10.9.5
sunmachine

Return to General