Pro Tools patch name files and OSX AMS

Pro Tools patch name files and OSX AMS

Postby BeefyB » 21 Mar 2016, 00:58

Hi there,

I'm wanting to use copperlan to route midi program changes from protools to various pieces of midi controllable outboard equipment. Routing the midi messages via copperlan is fairly straightforward, however it would appear that the copperlan manager bypasses the OSX Audio Midi Setup and so there is no way of associating program change messages from protools with .midnam patch name files stored locally in the system directory (Startup Disk/Library/Audio/Midi Patch Names/Avid). Consequently, when creating a program change event, rather than being presented with the patch names and various banks associated with the appropriate harware you instead get a list of meaningless numbers. It is possible to point PT to the relevant midnam file manually however it would seem that doing so applies this file to all program change events in the session, meaning that any pre-existing program changes on other tracks destined for other devices are assigned incorrect patch names.

Additionally, I would also like to use an Alyseum AL22c with pro tools to send/receiver midi controller data to/from a pair of JL Cooper surround panners. Again, it would seem that only devices connected locally and therefore visible via OSX Audio Midi Setup can be assigned to the send and recieve options in Protools' Peripherals/Midi Controllers menu.

Is there any way to interface my Copperlan network with the OSX Audio Midi Setup so that I can route data between pro tools and these surround panner midi controllers and also associate more than one midi patch name file to different midi tracks within a pro tools session?

Thanks,

Andy

Setup: (Multiple Systems)
Mac Pro 5,1 (OSX 10.10.5)
Pro Tools 11.3.2
Copperlan 1.4
Alyseum AL88c connected to 1x Lexicon 960L and 1x TC Electronic System 6000
Alyseum Al22c connected to 2x JL Cooper Surround Panners
*All devices connected over gigabit LAN using layer 2 switches
BeefyB

Return to General