too many MIDI ports?

too many MIDI ports?

Postby Luc Henrion » 22 Dec 2011, 12:29

too many MIDI ports? My old Logic 5.5 doesn't like it at all :(
On one laptop (XP pro), I have 2 + 4 "real" MIDI ports (2 via Firewire, 4 via USB), on another (XP Home) I have 4 (USB) and 16 (!!!) via MLan... 4 more "VMidi" ports seems to be too much for both of them. On another PC (XP Pro) with only 2 (USB) ports and a fourth with Win 7 (64) with only one (USB) port I don't seem to encounter problems.
Things looked better with Cubase SX on the first PC but not on the second, with MLan. This seems really not compatible with CP. The problem is that I still need MLan for audio (01V96) on that particular laptop (and MIDI is welcome for remote control as well). I went back to normal via a "system restore", that cured the problem but I'm afraid I'll have to keep from using CP on this PC :?:
Luc Henrion

Re: too many MIDI ports?

Postby CopperPhil » 22 Dec 2011, 13:53

Hi Luc,

This is a well-known limitation under XP... Googlelize "xp number midi port limitation" to get a lot of pages talking about it. XP does not support more than 32 MIDI ports declared at some time... it can crash with only 4 MIDI ports if it's the first time they are declared on a system already knowing 30 ports.

This limitation does not exist anymore from Vista.

We decided to allow from 4 to 32 VMIDI ports, but even we allow to select down to 2 VMIDI ports we're never sure it's not too much for a specific configuration, unfortunately...

Perhaps could you wash your registry as suggested here by Craig Anderton: http://www.eqmag.com/article/fixing-win ... g-07/30616
CopperPhil

Return to General