Win7-Yosemite-Pro-Tools 12- EWQL don't communicate

Win7-Yosemite-Pro-Tools 12- EWQL don't communicate

Postby Yltensack » 08 Nov 2015, 15:20

Hi.
I want to play my standalone EWQL/Kontakt from my Win7 PC (Intel Dualcore) to my iMac (Intel i5 core) running Pro Tools 12. All drivers are updated.
I have tried it with MidiOverLan, so I know it can be done!
Running Copperlan, the computers seem to be communicating, but it seems that the signals from the 4 VMIDI channels don't reaches the iMac. In the lower right corner it says Ethernet, which turns off if I shut down one of the computers. So connection there must be!
WinPC:
The Copperlan manager works fine on the WinPC, and I've checked that the driver is present in the Preferences.However I can only activate the midi (on/off). No channels are shown.
I can assign the midichannels VMIDI 1-4) in the Kontakt/EWQL .
iMac:
On the iMac the Manager comes up fine, but in the Edit/Midisettings only the midi on the iMac shows. No VMIDI channels, or devices,are shown. Actually the same picture as on the WinPC.
I have a Midisport 4x4 device to manage my keyboards. Works fine in in years in Pro Tools.But in the Copperlan/Edit/Midisettings I cannot see the Midisport on any of the computers.And my keyboards don't react.
Going inside Pro Tools no driver from Copperlan is shown, so I can't assign either the Copperlan nor the EWQL to my ProTools DAW. On the iMac I don't know where in the iOS I can check that the Copperlan driver actually is installed??
It's pretty frustrating, and I've spent many hours trying to solve this issue.
Can you please help me?
All the best
Lars from Denmark
Yltensack

Re: Win7-Yosemite-Pro-Tools 12- EWQL don't communicate

Postby verstaerker » 08 Nov 2015, 18:08

on OS X you can choose any daw and see if vmidi ports are available - of you course you should be able to see them directly in the copperlan-manager - in overview
or check out this midi-monitor
http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

and to make your midisport available to copperlan you need to go in the copperlan manager to Edit, click on the Midi field - and there Midi to CP and/or CP to/midi and enable there your Midisport device

i quickly checked with my wife's laptop ... i plugged it into ethernet , installed copperlan and restarted the machine and instantly it appeared in the copperlan overview (it didn't seem to work with wifi)
and then i was very easily able to connect my machines midi-output to her machines (pretty cool!)
verstaerker

Postby Yltensack » 10 Nov 2015, 13:28

Hi there.
Thanks for your reply. I'll try the MIDI monitor:-)

The problem is that the VMIDI channels are NOT visible in my Pro Tools 12.
and:
my Midisport is NOT visible in Manager/Edit/MIDI-box - even though I activates Midi-to-CP.

Any other ideas?
Yltensack

Postby Yltensack » 10 Nov 2015, 23:25

UPDATE:
Making some progress.
I reduced the number of channels from 8 to 4, and checked the Settings/Advanced/Enable Group editing/ and suddenly I had the VMIDI-channels in the CP Manager/Connect window on both computers. Strange...
I also had VMIDI 1-4 in Pro Tools/Midi track / output.
And chose VMIDI1 all the way from my Kontakt (on my WinPC), CP Manager/MIDI virtual cable (WinPC), and on to the iMac I repeated the procedure. No change!
And still no Device (Midisport) present anywhere. So I cannot play my keyboard and hit the EWQL/Kontakt.
Getting pretty desperate here...
Yltensack

Postby CopperPhil » 10 Nov 2015, 23:40

Wow.... are you really playing with group editing? If so, please check that the devices you want to be able to communicate together are flagged with the same group flag(s). Usually, the CopperLan Manager is flagged in the SuperGroup (S), so it can see everybody. But a device having group (1) flag is not able to see a device having group (2), but it can discuss with a device having group flags (1,2).

But groups should be used very carefully in very specific and rare configuration...
CopperPhil

Postby Yltensack » 11 Nov 2015, 11:27

Well, the group thing was an act of desperation.....
I tried to unflag it, and I still had access to the Vmidi channels, fortunately...

But Phil - could you please help me about the midisport issue?
There seems to be no communication between my keyboards and the WinPC/EWQL.
Why don't I see my device on either of the screens?
Is it a driver issue? ( i.e the DigiCoreAudio driver perhaps conflicting in Yosemite. Or perhaps my M-audio/Midisport driver that is non-convertible with CP?)
All the best
Lars
Yltensack

Postby verstaerker » 11 Nov 2015, 12:28

so your Midisport is generally not working? Since when? After you installed copperlan?

make sure you have the latest drivers from M-Audio
i had the same combination Midisport 4x4 , Yosemite .. it was working just fine
i'm using now an AL88c .. that's way better

maybe it's worth trying to create a new user on the mac and see if the midisport appears there (it could be a problem with the prefs of the OSX Midisettings-tool)
verstaerker

Postby Yltensack » 11 Nov 2015, 21:32

Well my Midisport works just fine on my iMac/Pro Tools 12. No problems there.
I updated the driver from M-audio, computer re-booted, but still no midisport.
Yltensack

Postby CopperPhil » 11 Nov 2015, 22:01

I just would like to check something to be sure that I have a good understanding of the current status:
1- please disconnect the Mac from the network, so CopperLan is running locally
2- what do you see in the bottom right corner of the CopperLan Manager? Ethernet? Local? No network?
3- do you see the "MIDI on [your_mac]" in the Edit tab?
4- if so, enter in "MIDI on [your_mac]" (in Edit tab), do you see "CP to MIDI interface" and/or "MIDI to CP interface"?
5- if so, do you see the MIDISport port around there?

I guess you'll say "no" at some point in this list, and it would be useful for me to determine the next steps.
CopperPhil

Postby Yltensack » 12 Nov 2015, 13:15

Hi Phil.
First of all: I made it work!...I'll tell you later. First I'll answer your questions:
1.+2.
On the WinPC: Ethernet. On the iMac: Local.
3. Yes
4. No I did not. Only Midi Settings.
5. The Midisport device never showed up.

So here is what I did:
I deleted the Manager on the both the iMac and the WinPC.
Downloaded the old version of the Manager to both machines.(1.3 (3)
Suddenly the CP-to-interface and vice versa showed up in the WinPC Manager!
It didn't show up on the iMac.I deleted the old Manager
So I downloaded the new version (1.4(2) to the iMac.And there was the CP-to-interface and vice versa suddenly!
So now I have v.1.3 on my WinPC and v1.4 on my iMac.
The I disabled my soundcard on the WinPC, made full MIDI virtual cables on both machines on Midichannel 1 and 2. And now I'm actually playing and recording music.

I hope you and other users can benefit from these hard earned efforts.
all the best
Lars
Yltensack

Return to Windows and Mac installation