cpvnm v1.2(7) in Win VM crashing

Re: cpvnm v1.2(7) in Win VM crashing

Postby TabSel » 16 May 2014, 17:27

when using the emulated Intel Pro/1000 MT the Win VM NIC driver is the standard Intel Pro/1000 MT driver which seems to be NDIS 6.x compliant...

I also tried with different hardware emulation like Realtek RTL8029AS and Virtio, without luck
TabSel

Postby CopperPhil » 16 May 2014, 17:31

Strange... anyway the issue is there.

Can you check that the "CopperLan over Etnerhet protocol driver" is well activated in the emulated NIC properties? Its check box should be checked, just like IPV4 and other "File & printer sharing for MS network"...
CopperPhil

Postby TabSel » 16 May 2014, 17:32

yes, its checked, I already checked before coming here ;)
TabSel

Postby CopperPhil » 17 May 2014, 08:46

Ok, when you run the CopperLan Manager in developer mode, you should see the Mac address on each root device.

Here are some new tests to be performed on the Macbook, disconnected from the physical Ethernet network (in order to avoid interaction with other physical computer).

This test is needing to be fast due to the Win VNM crash:
- connect both VNM (host and VM) to the network and check the MAC address related to the "MIDI on bullshit" devices. Do you see the right MAC address on the MIDI related to the host and to the VM in the CopperLan Manager running on the host?
- same test, but check using the CopperLan Manager running on the VM

Another test: the Win VNM memory seems to grow out of control when you activate the network. Can you setup the VM CopperLan without network, ensure that the host Mac CopperLan Manager is closed, check that the Win CPVNM memory is stable, note the MAC address of the one and only MIDI device that should be displayed (just to see if it's again 0000000000), activate the network and quit immediately the CopperLan Manager, and then check the VNM memory and crashing status. Is it still growing & crashing?

I have some other ideas but let's check this before.
CopperPhil

Postby TabSel » 17 May 2014, 12:45

it works now!!!

Background: The Mac is connected via wireless A/C to the router.

Due to your test cases I
1) deactivated WLAN on the Mac
2) ran CPManager Mac with --developer, set NIC to 'none
3) booted the Win VM, observed the CPVNM process, which did not consume CPU/memory, so I
4) ran CPManager WInVM with -developer, set NIC to 'none', cleared logs on CPManager Mac and PC

5) then set Mac CP NIC to Wireless Network Adaptor and WinVM CP NIC to Intel Pro/1000 MT and
6) reactivated WLAN on Mac

the WinVM CPVNM service stayed "calm" with no memory consuming and I wondered...

I could NOT crash the cpvnm on WinVM since then, no matter booting the WinVM with WLAN active or not...

It seems to run stable now... :)
TabSel

Postby TabSel » 17 May 2014, 15:53

It does NOT work, sorry.

I forgot my desktop PC SM-1 was on over night. The cpvnm on sm-1 crashed before I did the tests above, so there were only the two machines MBP-1 and MBP-1-win on the copperlan and everything went smooth.

I restarted cpvnm on sm-1 and the cpvnm on MBP-1-win crashed again.

I tried to deactivate all NICs on SM-1 as I thought that solved the issue with the cpvnm in winVM crashing, but no luck. As soon as there are three machines on the copperlan the cpvnm in the winVM consumes cpu, memory usage grows and it crashes.

With two machines only, be it native or in a VM there is no issue...
TabSel

Postby TabSel » 17 May 2014, 16:17

The cpvnmd on Mac OS X does consume a lot of cpu, too, as does the cpvnm on sm-1.
Though, the MBP-1-win is the only machine which cpvnm memory grows.

As soon as I set any of the three cp manager nic to none, everything is back to normal...
TabSel

Postby TabSel » 18 May 2014, 21:14

made some further tests today:

I connected the Mac to Ethernet (via Thunderbolt adaptor) and set Mac CP Manager NIC to this NIC instead of WLAN NIC, ran the WinVM CP Manager with the Intel Pro/1000MT (as before) and the SM-1 CP Manager NIC to Ethernet, so all three machines were connected via Ethernet and everything worked, as far as I can tell. I saw each of the three machines MIDI root device in all CP Managers, Network stable.
TabSel

Postby CopperPhil » 18 May 2014, 22:30

Wow! This is very interesting!

Do you mean that you have now two cabled Ethernet on the Macbook? or the Thunderbolt interface is the only cabled Ethernet interface and you just moved from the WLAN to this interface?

And now do you get valid Mac addresses on each computer (virtual & physical)?
CopperPhil

Postby TabSel » 18 May 2014, 23:33

The SM-1 Desktop always is cabled Ethernet to GB siwtch.
The Mac today was cabled Ethernet (Thunderbolt) to this GB Switch, too.
The Win VM was bridged to the Mac Thunderbolt Ethernet NIC.

Everything worked, so I did not check MACs, sorry, may do so tomorrow
TabSel

Previous

Return to General