Postby solar3D » 06 Jun 2014, 15:56

I'll do tonight...

Thanks
Joerg
solar3D

Re: KORG USB-MIDI

Postby solar3D » 06 Jun 2014, 17:55

Hi Phil,

bad news. It still cannot open my Unitor8 properly and even not the Blofeld Midi port. Just the AKAI APC40 gets recognized. All of them are connected via USB where Unitor is USB1.1 and the Blofeld might also.

Best
Joerg
solar3D

Postby CopperPhil » 06 Jun 2014, 20:52

Well... You said
In fact, it seems to try to init the device and then the Mac disappears in the CopperLAN manager until I turn the interface off.

So it means that you have CopperLan working find, then you activate the Unitor8 and this is causing the MIDI ports belonging to your Mac to disappear from the network - but the network is still working so you can see other computers - until you unplug the Unitor8. Is this right?

Are you sure you don't have a MIDI loop? Can you unplug all the physical MIDI cables behind the Unitor8 and then connect it to the Mac?
CopperPhil

Postby spw_la » 07 Jun 2014, 06:11

Phil-

I have had a chance to install the Mac version of the update you posted and unfortunately the behavior I am experiencing upon plugging in the Korg NanoKontrol2 in is the same as before. Plugging in the NanoKontrol still results in the Node for the Mac you are plugging the NanoKontrol into disappears when it is plugged in and all Ethernet Interfaces in the dropdown box in preferences also go missing. This behavior lasts while the NanoKontrol is plugged in and once removed then the CopperLan Manager returns to normal with the Node reappearing and the Ethernet Interfaces properly propagate in their dropdown box in preferences.

I did uninstall the prior version of CopperLan Manager prior to installing the updated version posted by you earlier today.
spw_la

Postby CopperPhil » 07 Jun 2014, 08:20

As I said to Joerg above, the Korg MIDI driver seems to put a mess into MIDI handling.

Can you try uninstalling this Korg MIDI driver in order to use the operating system regular MIDI handling?
CopperPhil

Postby spw_la » 07 Jun 2014, 09:26

CopperPhil wrote:As I said to Joerg above, the Korg MIDI driver seems to put a mess into MIDI handling.

Can you try uninstalling this Korg MIDI driver in order to use the operating system regular MIDI handling?

You also posted:

CopperPhil wrote: (The bug fix related to MacOSX is a minor update, not related to the Korg driver issue.)

and as my post earlier this evening states, I am experiencing the issues described on a Mac running 10.9.3. Therefore, considering your above post regarding the Mac issue not being related to the Korg Driver issue others are experiencing when using Windows, I did not think that uninstalling the KorgNanoKontrol2 driver was required for the patch to work.

That being said, I have since uninstalled the MIDI Driver plugin for the NanoKontrol2 located at /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers, as there is no "Official" MIDI driver uninstaller from Korg. I then rebooted my machine and opened CopperLan Manager and experienced the exact same behavior described in my previous post(Mac Node disappears when KorgNanoKontrol2 is plugged in as well as all Ethernet Interfaces disappear and then both the Mac Node and the Ethernet Interfaces re-appear when you disconnect the KorgNanoKontrol2).

So, it appears the updated version of CopperLan Manager for Mac you posted has not patched this issue and is still something that needs addressed.
spw_la

Postby CopperPhil » 07 Jun 2014, 10:48

Yes indeed, the MacOSX minor update included in 1.3(3) includes just a fix to the VMIDI port engine that was freezing on VMIDI port number change, nothing related to "physical" MIDI port management (an therefore nothing related to the NanoKontrol)

We bought a NanoKontrol2 to check what's going wrong with it and didn't find any reason under Windows but the Korg MIDI driver. It seems that we are not alone to reach this conclusion, there are plenty of complaints on the internet related to this. Using the standard MIDI support offered by the OS seems to be the solution. By extension I guess the situation could be similar under MacOSX.

And just to be sure, I just tried the NanoKontrol2 here under MacOSX 10.8.5 and 10.9.3 and it is fully supported by CopperLan. But I never installed any Korg "driver" or software on my Macs, so the controller is recognized through the standard MacOSX USB-MIDI support.

CopperLan is based on the standards, it is not tweaking anything in the operating system. Obviously it seems that Korg does it for any reasons, otherwise they wouldn't provide a custom MIDI driver.

So finally the only advice I can give you is checking that there is no Korg daemon or agent still running on your computer (/Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons)...
CopperPhil

Postby solar3D » 08 Jun 2014, 09:50

So it means that you have CopperLan working find, then you activate the Unitor8 and this is causing the MIDI ports belonging to your Mac to disappear from the network - but the network is still working so you can see other computers - until you unplug the Unitor8. Is this right?

Well, generally speaking - yes, but it's not just the Midi ports that disappear, the whole MAC disappears from the CopperLan manager.

Are you sure you don't have a MIDI loop? Can you unplug all the physical MIDI cables behind the Unitor8 and then connect it to the Mac?

There is defenitelly no loop but since the Unitor sends tons of Midi messages while starting up (NoteOff messages and so on) this may gets misinterpreted by Copperlan to be a loop!

HTH
Joerg
solar3D

Postby spw_la » 11 Jun 2014, 09:09

As per your request I have looked to ensure there are no Korg daemon running or even listed in /Library/LaunchAgents or /Library/LaunchDaemons.

Usually the objective of Technical Support would be to re-create the issue as best you can and then troubleshoot what is required to fix the issue. Installing your software and connecting a Korg NanoKontrol2 to a Mac running 10.9.3 without installing the Korg NanoKontrol2 Driver is NOT recreating the issue. I want to reiterate that there is no way, that I have found, to undo or uninstall the Korg NanoKontrol2 driver installation. I did delete the KorgNanoKontrol2MIDI.plugin file from /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers, but that has not fixed the issue.

This issue with the Korg NanoKontrol2 sounds very similar to the Unitor8 issue, which is not a Korg product to my knowledge.
spw_la

Postby CopperPhil » 11 Jun 2014, 11:45

Usually the objective of Technical Support would be to re-create the issue as best you can and then troubleshoot what is required to fix the issue.

You are right, but you have to consider that CopperLan is provided for free and we don't have staff, equipment and time to test compatibility with all MIDI controllers around the world.

Nevertheless, I installed the Korg software on one of my Macs and got the issue. I've found a workaround so please try it on your side.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/215 ... %29%5D.dmg
CopperPhil

PreviousNext

Return to Bug report