Mac OSX - iMac - no ethernet on POPUP chooser

Re: Mac OSX - iMac - no ethernet on POPUP chooser

Postby CopperPhil » 03 Nov 2014, 17:57

Ok. And if you have an antivirus or shield running on your computer, please ensure that it is not controlling internal communication (through the 127.0.0.1 IP loopback).
CopperPhil

Postby edemunari » 04 Nov 2014, 18:10

Hi CopperPhil
fist update after some tests, un-istalled all midi devices and then add one by one with newest update. It seems all right whit the iMac when suddenly when I was using it connected to Mac Pro, the ethernet status went to local!!!

Strange thing just on my iMac. No way to be on line again. Then I remember that my Behringer X-32 mixer even if act as midi interface without any driver via USB connection, was also connected using a proprietary protocol at the Lan and so connected both to iMac and Mac Pro.

I switched off it and nothing change. Logoff from my iMac and the login, without shutting it off and everything was right... Light on the X-32 and it seems it works fine for sometime.

So at the present I suspect that X-32 LAN protocol could interfere with copperlan. But not so sure, more test on the go...

Just an info is there a way to reset copperlan without loggin off the mac osx account?

This would be useful for testing all.

I let you know if you have any idea is welcome. No antivirus on my Mac.

Cheers, Eriberto
edemunari

Postby CopperPhil » 04 Nov 2014, 18:30

Hi Eriberto,

Thank you very much for your detailed report! Very appreciated!

The X-32 is using a OSC-like protocol based on IP (http://www.behringer.com/assets/X32_OSC ... otocol.pdf), so normally it should not interfere with CopperLan... but... we didn't test it so far. It is not possible for us to perform compatibility testing with every existing product around the world, unfortunately.

But till now we didn't had bad surprise, even with very picky protocols such as AES67 (audio transport over Ethernet).

On a Mac you can restart the CopperLan engine by stopping the cpvnmd process using the Activity Monitor. Then it will automatically restart with a new process ID (pid).

There is also another CopperLan related process (cpuserd) related to the MIDI/Virtual MIDI port management, but normally restarting the cpuserd should be enough.

Cheers,

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby edemunari » 04 Nov 2014, 18:37

Hi CopperPhill,
I will go on testing waiting for Alyseum for tomorrow.

If should be useful I could perform even more deep test on X-32 if you should drive me in between.
Cheers Eriberto
edemunari

Postby CopperPhil » 04 Nov 2014, 18:57

If should be useful I could perform even more deep test on X-32 if you should drive me in between.

A first step would be to confirm that the issue is only present when the X-32 is connected and ON.

BTW, just thinking about something: is the X-32 creating MIDI ports in your Mac? If so,
-> is it doing this on both Mac Pro and iMac?
-> can you ensure that these X-32 related MIDI ports are disabled from the CopperLan Manager's Edit tab (on both Mac Pro and iMac if relevant).
CopperPhil

Postby edemunari » 05 Nov 2014, 22:05

Hi CopperPhil
testing day evening report!!! Today I take the whole day working with CopperLan and my new Alyseum interfaces arrived this morning.

Morning test: no Motu, no Behringer X-32,iMac with Novation SL49 USB, Mac Pro with ProTools. No problem at all!!! Just a little mess about using CopperLan controllers, as I understand if I wanna to use it with protools I have not to assign them with Copperlan to Novation otherwise I got no Midi controller in ProTools.

afternoon sequentially tested:
Attached USB Behringer X-32 no problem.
Attached Ethernet and USB Behringer X-32 no problem.
Motu switched on, no problem immediately after some time it burst out iMac first Mac Pro then both went local...

I really no understand, but... Alyseum are here so no more Motu... someone will debug this.

With Alyseum interface I understand that I have to connect all the needed input to a Vmidi input of Mac Pro or iMac to use it in Protools or Ableton Live... so even if is useful i could rename the interface in/out renaming the Vmidi channel is quite indispensable to manage 24 midi channel in ProTools or Ableton Live...

Do I miss something? Has the AL-88c to be seen directly on my iMac or ProTools? Or my connections are right?

Last but not least in a future update could you manage both the Vmidi renaming and the Interface setup let us choosing how many interface channel activate and how many midi channel per interface channel activate?(as midi studio setup do usually for each usb interface)

Thanks in advance, cheers, Eriberto
edemunari

Postby CopperPhil » 05 Nov 2014, 22:40

Thanks again for the report!

I'm really wondering what is going wrong with Motu... very strange issue.

You are right about your change requests. Renaming the VMIDI ports is something we plan to offer in a future release. You can already change the number of VMIDI ports editing the "MIDI on [yourcomputer]" parameters. It's a good idea to specify the active channels used by ports, we'll think about that.

Cheers,

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby edemunari » 05 Nov 2014, 22:49

Hi CopperPhil
maybe also the number of port enabled on each interface. If I use only use 2 port I'd like to switch off the other six on a AL-88c for an example, just for reducing the unused complexity.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot for your support, really nice, cheers, Eriberto
edemunari

Postby EastOne » 12 Jan 2015, 23:15

I have same issue. Mac pro. With RME UFX sound device.
No selectab;e network. :(
EastOne

Postby edemunari » 12 Jan 2015, 23:46

At the end I understand that on my network it happens if I switch on my Behringer X32, both usb or firewire connected to my iMac, before switching on the iMac. If I wait that Copperlan establish the right connections and then light on the Behringer X32 all works fine. It seems all conflated to the MIDI interface you have connected to your Mac...

Cheers, eriberto
edemunari

PreviousNext

Return to Bug report