Copperlan on Vista 32bit help

Copperlan on Vista 32bit help

Postby sweepfilter » 06 Jun 2015, 04:15

Hi!

I am very happy with Copperlan on win7 64!

I tried today to install it on my laptop, Vista 32 sp1. CopperLan is apperently badly installed.
The service runs, the four default MIDI ports are there, but this machine can't even create its internal connexions as a standalone machine (as a start, I just try to use CopperLan only as an internal virtual cable but the manager is void).

I have tried to install it first with just wifi connexion, It instantly saw my win7 setup.
I spent all this day trying to get the concepts of copperlan but with a bugged machine... well, I need some help.

I had disabled some microsoft services in the past in this machine, maybe the faulty behaviour is related to that? (in an attempt to lower dcp latency) I was not using network at this time, surely something here is awfull to your eyes ;)

When asking for support or reporting bugs, please provide as much info as possible:

here is some screenshots http://imgur.com/a/Acf1N

The problematic configuration (Acer laptop , wifi / or LAN cable connected, no midi peripheral, wanting to connect it as a G-Player machine)

*Acer Aspire 2920
*Windows Vista SP1 32bit
*version of CopperLan Manager app : 1.4(1)
*MIDI related apps installed (Cubase 5, G-Player)
*MIDI related apps installed and running: G-Player if I will succeed to instal CopperLan properly.
*MIDI drivers specific to these apps : none
*MIDI hardware interfaces (model, type of connection, use of custom drivers) : eventually M-Audio fasttrack pro (will try to link my both cards with spdif)

Typical network mistake
If you see only a single computer in the CopperLan Manager's overview tab I DO, it is likely that:
*You have selected the wrong network interface for CopperLan I can't see its adapter... just the one from the other computer (e.g. going through wifi instead of wired)
*You have rejected the installation of the drivers when installing the CopperLan software package.
No I havn't rejected the drivers directly ;)

Merci pour votre aide
sweepfilter

Re: Copperlan on Vista 32bit help

Postby sweepfilter » 06 Jun 2015, 13:16

As an addition, I found an old (forgotten) broken midi driver

CopperLan seems ok

ps: UAC is of course disabled
sweepfilter

Postby sweepfilter » 06 Jun 2015, 18:24

And here is the two ethernet card of my win7 machine (one belong to virtualbox the real one is tagged as virtualbox bridged)

http://i.imgur.com/F2ZCe3R.png

As I have installed Virtualbox, I am reading now that:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7094

need some light...
sweepfilter

Postby sweepfilter » 06 Jun 2015, 20:49

uninstalled virtualbox, ethernet drivers updated on both machines...

still, I can't yet find the reason the Copperlan manager on my vista pc just see the config of win7 and can edit it, but vista can't set its own ports and don't find the adapters of the machine on which it is insatlled!

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

and

Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

:|
sweepfilter

Postby sweepfilter » 07 Jun 2015, 02:58

So, a part of copperlan works, as I plugged the maudio usb fast track pro, there is traces on the registry, but the copperlan manager don't show any devices of this machine, be they midi or the adapters of this machine.

I try to imagine a workaround inspired by the work of Baraak viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139&start=10#p476 it was for XP... -_-

/ edit

well, it is normally formed. I don't touch it :arrow: http://i.imgur.com/4UKrCLG.png

:roll:
after uninstall, registry traces

http://i.imgur.com/4832uS4.png

too many results i'm lost.
sweepfilter

Postby CopperPhil » 07 Jun 2015, 22:10

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, your issue is very interesting :-)

It seems that your CopperLan Manager gets hosted by the CopperLan service (CPVNM) running on the Win7 computer instead of the local VNM service... It means that the CopperLan Manager is not able to establish a connection to the local CPVNM, and fall back on an alternative solution if possible (a CPVNM running elsewhere on the network).

So...
1) Can you check that your CopperLan service (CPVNM) is really running?
2) if it is running, can you try to stop/restart it in order to test that it is responsive
3) If the VNM is running and really operationnal, do you see the Vista MIDI/VMIDI ports from the CopperLan Manager running on the Win7 computer?
4) The CopperLan Manager is using UDP & TCPIP in local host (127.0.0.1) in order to negotiate and use the connection with the CPVNM service. The CopperLan 1.4 installer adds required Windows Firewall settings to allow this connection without querying authorization to the user. But if you have an alternate security solution running on your Vista computer, please check that it allows such connection.

Let me know if this fixes your problem. If not, we will have to investigate further.

Thanks,

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby sweepfilter » 08 Jun 2015, 00:43

Hi! :) yes I checked that the service is really running, as I shown the service active in the task manager in my earlier posts, and a part of it works as the midi device is listed in the registry at the copperlan area.
Yes I can start/stop the CPVNM service.

So, no, the instance of CP on my win7 don't see anything of my vista machine.

here is the adresses actually used by CP on the problematic Vista : http://i.imgur.com/J0AwbzC.png

192.168.1.41 instead of 127.0.0.1 as you said...

I have found a topic on which you gave an user your ReportingTool.exe, got it, is it of any use in my case?

Thanks !

(ps: I have installed / tested many times with and without window's firewall. CP is not blocked, the rules created are ok. I don't use antivirus / malwaresbytes etc on this machine, the machine is kept clean, but I will try to scan the machine this night)

/ edit

rather proud to have zero malware in this old pc :lol:
sweepfilter

Postby CopperPhil » 08 Jun 2015, 07:52

Hi,

Yes it could be interesting to run the reporting tool. You can send me the report directly to pca@copperlan.org.

Is it possible to have a Skype session from this Vista computer? Or better to let me take control of this computer? Usually I'm using Chrome Remote Desktop (free solution embedded in Chrome) but I can use something else if you prefer. If so, please send me your contact information (skype, remote desktop, schedule contact preference) to the email address above.

Thanks,

/Phil
CopperPhil

Return to General