Can't get CopperLAN instances to see each other over the LAN

Can't get CopperLAN instances to see each other over the LAN

Postby jdpal1 » 04 Jul 2015, 17:45

I want to send MIDI from the AudioBox attached to Machine B, to Ableton and/or Reaper installed on Machine A.

Machine A: Windows 7 64-bit
Machine B: Windows 7 64-bit, with PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL midi/audi interface attached via USB

Manager on both machines indicates Ethernet connectivity but they both only see their local instances... e.g. Machine A sees its own MIDI (only CL virtual ports as expected) and Machine B sees its own MIDI (CL virtual ports plus PreSonus AudioBox) but they do not see each other in the overview tab.

Both have the CL driver installed under Sound Video and Game controllers.

Firewalls disabled on both machines.

There are no firewalls or anything between the two computers, just a switch.

Help! Thank you :)
jdpal1

Re: Can't get CopperLAN instances to see each other over the

Postby CopperPhil » 05 Jul 2015, 21:22

Hi,

The driver you see under Sound Video and Game controllers is the virtual MIDI driver, nothing related to the network connectivity.

Another driver - a protocol driver - is installed in order to manage CopperLan Ethernet protocol. In order to verify if it is correctly installed, please go to the "network and sharing center", "change adapter settings", double-click on the ethernet interface you have selected in the CopperLan Manager, a popup windows "Ethernet Status" is displayed, click on [Properties] button, and verify that "CopperLan Over Ethernet Protocol Driver" is checked.

If this is checked on both computers, the problem can be due to the network itself. The computers must be connected through a Ethernet network not restricted to IP based protocols. Several network switches (for example CISCO switches) are configured by default for optimized "smart" management of IP protocols, and block any other protocol. CopperLan is not based on IP, so in this case you have to configure the switch to allow any protocol on top of layer 2.

Hope this helps,

/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby jdpal1 » 06 Jul 2015, 00:17

Hi Phil, thank you for the response!

I confirmed the protocol driver is installed and enabled on the correct network adapters.

I also have just tried to do a direct connect between the two systems with static IP addresses. I confirmed connectivity with a PING test and I also disabled all other interfaces.

The first system sees only itself and the second system sees only itself... but they do not see each other. See attached screen caps:

1.PNG

2.PNG
jdpal1

Postby CopperPhil » 06 Jul 2015, 06:59

Ok, your test with direct cable is perfect, so the problem seems to me related to CopperLan settings. The drivers are there and enabled. Please verify the selected network interface from the CopperLan Manager's settings on both computers.
CopperPhil

Postby jdpal1 » 07 Jul 2015, 03:03

Hi Phil,

I confirm that CopperLAN is using the correct network adapter for both computers, it doesn't make a difference unfortunately :( I even tried disabling all other adapters on the systems.
jdpal1

Postby CopperPhil » 07 Jul 2015, 09:25

This is really strange...

Can you start the CopperLan Manager in command line with the "-developer" option?

C:\Program Files\CopperLan\CPManager\CopperLanManager -developer

Then an addition "Log" panel is displayed on the right. Do you see some event occurring regularly, or is it stable (no activity)?

BTW, would it be possible for me to take remote control on one of your computers in order to make deeper investigation? I'm usually using Chrome Remote Desktop, but I can install something else if you prefer.
CopperPhil

Postby jdpal1 » 11 Jul 2015, 20:23

Hi Phil,

I apprecate your efforts to help me!

I started in developer mode and found no strange messages in the log. I attach screencaps of each computer. I also confirmed that CL is listening on the right interface by its MAC address.

CL1.PNG

CL2.PNG

We can definitely work together remotely. I am in Boston, MA, USA's time zone. What works for you?
jdpal1

Postby CopperPhil » 11 Jul 2015, 22:38

I am in Brussels, Belgium time zone, so a difference of 6 hours. No problem we can schedule a remote session at your best convenience from Monday. Send me an email with your contact details (Skype..) and your time / remote tool preferences at pca@copperlan.org

Cheers
/Phil
CopperPhil

Postby jdpal1 » 12 Jul 2015, 01:33

Hi Phil,

I did some more testing today and discovered that MIDI is not working at all on one of the computers I'm trying to use CopperLAN with. I feel like this is part of the problem and that I should solve it, because maybe CopperLAN is being affected by something else, and it's not CopperLAN's problem.

I suspect, but have no way of confirming yet, that the problem is one of the computers does not have a standard sound card in it - it only uses an external interface with ASIO - and that may be affecting Windows' ability to parse the MIDI data for some stupid reason.

Anyway, for now, I'll let you know what I figure out, and if I get MIDI working on its own I will report back!

Thanks!
jdpal1

Postby CopperPhil » 12 Jul 2015, 10:06

Ha yes sure! This is possible that a MIDI driver is blocking the copperlan service. Situation already met before, but no way to fix it from our side...

Let us know :-)
CopperPhil

Next

Return to General