Midi i/o <-> on/off

Midi i/o <-> on/off

Postby Jo-Po- » 30 Aug 2015, 13:54

Hi.

I installed Copperlan 2 weeks ago. It's working very well.

But I have one question :
Each time I load Copperlan manager on my both pc and recall a working snapshot, I must go on the 'Edit' page to switch 'On' the midi i/o used in the snapshot. Wouldn't it be better to save the i/o state (on or off) in the snapshot ? One would save some time ! :mrgreen:

Or maybe I missed something.....

Thanks for any info...
Jo-Po-

Re: Midi i/o <-> on/off

Postby CopperPhil » 30 Aug 2015, 20:56

Interesting... the current MIDI state should be automatically saved and restored at startup, so you don't have to setup again the port.

Can you tell me which version of CopperLan you are using, under which operating system, and the MIDI interface brand/model?

Thanks
CopperPhil

Postby Jo-Po- » 30 Aug 2015, 22:22

I guess the latest as I downloaded it 2 weeks ago.

I use SC Scope on 2 pc. 1 with Xite-1 the other with some Scope PCI boards.

Scope is a special platform : the midi i/o are really reachable only when the soft is running but I always start Scope first and then Copperlan manager in order to make Copperlan life easy... ;)
Jo-Po-

Postby CopperPhil » 30 Aug 2015, 22:34

Ha OK, yes but the MIDI/CopperLan bridge is handled by a service (CPVNM) that is started automatically on boot.

The CopperLan Manager is just a front-end, you can close it and continue using the (V)MIDI and all the CopperLan stuff.

So it is probable that the Scope MIDI ports are appearing after the CPVNM is started, so the related MIDI ports are discovered thanks to plug&play notification, but not activated in CopperLan by default for some reason.

However, it should be activated if the MIDI port keep the same name... Something I have to check. But there is a lot of Scope users that are also fan of CopperLan, and as far I know they never reported your issue... Maybe could you post a message in Scope dedicated forum, such as PlanetZ?
CopperPhil

Postby Jo-Po- » 31 Aug 2015, 17:46

Sure I will !
Jo-Po-

Postby Jo-Po- » 01 Sep 2015, 18:54

As always, Scope found a work around :
http://forums.planetz.com/search.php?se ... ive_topics

Maybe the Copperlan developers could help, if possible, I don't know : I'm not a developer of any computer software... Do something to make Copperlan service (CPVNM.exe ) the last one to open at the end of computer boot... 8-)

Et voilà !
Jo-Po-

Postby Jo-Po- » 01 Sep 2015, 19:40

Euh.... Yes but ... No !

I noticed that before Scope application is not running, the midi i/o in Copperlan won't switch 'ON'. Moreover, Scope midi i/o are present in all application needing midi but unavaible.

Copperlan must be like other application : unable to reach Scope midi i/o as long as Scope is not running.
Copperlan developers can't do much things : I'm not sure it's possible to make a service that start just after another application just on a special case..
Jo-Po-

Postby CopperPhil » 01 Sep 2015, 20:24

You are right... at this point, CopperLan is just consuming the Scope MIDI ports like any other application.

I see a solution, but it might be quite tricky to put in place. The CPVNM service can be stopped, disabling auto-start. Then you can launch C:\Program Files\CopperLan\CPVNM\cpvnm.exe as an administrator when you need it (once Scope is started).
CopperPhil

Return to General