Sysex fault with PolyEvolver editor

Re: Sysex fault with PolyEvolver editor

Postby CopperPhil » 22 Sep 2015, 12:57

Just a thought: what is the connection mapping between PolyEvolver editor and the synth? is it one-way, or did you create bi-directional MIDI connections?

A bi-directional connection could explain the duplicated sysex messages if the editor don't receive acknowledge in time...

There is no problem with Ethernet over Thunderbolt, we are also using it.
CopperPhil

Postby gilesjuk » 22 Sep 2015, 21:23

Hi,

I've just tested my GM5x5 USB MIDI interface, no issues.

So I decided to connect ethernet direct to the AL88c and it's been fine. I've really hammered it and no issues.

So it seems like my Ethernet switch or wiring was causing issues. Perhaps packets were acknowledged properly leading to re-transmits?

Do you have a recommendation for a small and fairly affordable 4 port ethernet switch? I was using a small D-Link one which obviously isn't up to the job.

I've got an old Apple airport extreme if those are any good?
gilesjuk

Postby CopperPhil » 22 Sep 2015, 21:43

haaa.... yes indeed, bad Ethernet connection can cause some side-effect.

We developed CopperLan over Ethernet protocol in 2008, since we tried a lot of standard and low-cost Ethernet switch without any problem so far.

So I would tend to think of a cable problem rather than the switch itself. But... maybe you found the switch that is not working with CopperLan... who knows... :-)

My network is currently built around 5 different 8 ports 100Mb/Gb switches from DLink. The last I bought is a D-Link DGS-108 which is quite cheap.

But please check your cables before changing of switch ;-)
CopperPhil

Postby gilesjuk » 22 Sep 2015, 21:53

I only suspected the switch because both my AL88 and AL88c were having the issue. The Poly Evolver Keyboard is on the AL88c and the Poly Evolver Rack is on the AL88.

When connecting the AL88c direct to the computer I used the same cable as I was connecting to the switch. So the cable from switch to computer is okay. In my eyes that only leaves the switch itself, I did some development work on firmware for a switch years ago and know how buggy the code and chips can be :)

The D-link I was using is the DGS-1005D.
Last edited by gilesjuk on 22 Sep 2015, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
gilesjuk

Postby CopperPhil » 22 Sep 2015, 22:18

You are right. Except if the cable computer-switch was not fully plugged. I had this issue a few times... so sure that I heard the "click" when I plugged the cable...
CopperPhil

Postby gilesjuk » 23 Sep 2015, 13:55

I've ordered the D-Link switch you mentioned. I had a look for some locally but read that NetGear switches seem to have a high failure rate.

I'm just glad I've got this sorted. Hopefully it has fixed my problem with bulk dumping patches to the Microwave.

Thanks for your help, good support is always welcome when buying technology products :)
gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 23 Sep 2015, 21:31

Switched to an old ethernet switch I had sitting around, everything is working great :D
gilesjuk

Postby CopperPhil » 23 Sep 2015, 21:39

Happy to read this! :)
CopperPhil

Previous

Return to Bug report