No ethernet interface shown

No ethernet interface shown

Postby Tracer » 05 Nov 2015, 20:27

Hi all, this is my first time on the forum, as I just received my Alyseum AL-88c. I'm very excited about the possibilities of it and especially the Copperlan manager, it seems to be the solution for about every midi need I have. However, I ran into some problems when setting it all up. I have a 2010 iMac, with OSX 10.6.8. I installed the Copperlan manager, and then connected the Alyseum to the Ethernet port of my Mac. The green light is shining on the Alyseum, the orange light is blinking and I see 4 Vmidi instances in Ableton, but in the Copperlan manager there is no Ethernet interface shown. It is probably my very limited knowledge in IT, but did I miss something? I would be very grateful for any help on this :?
Tracer

Re: No ethernet interface shown

Postby CopperPhil » 05 Nov 2015, 22:35

Hi,

First, can you check that you installed the latest CopperLan package 1.4.2 from our web site? Did you reboot the Mac after installation (sometimes needed after an upgrade)?

Then, what kind of network interface do you have on your Mac? WIFI, cabled Ethernet, Ethernet over USB or Thunderbolt, ... ?

Do you see the VMIDI ports in the CopperLan Manager?
CopperPhil

Postby Tracer » 05 Nov 2015, 23:20

Hi Phil, thanks for answering so quickly. I have the latest version, downloaded this morning. I rebooted several times after installing, with no luck. My Mac is connected to the internet via WIFI, I have an audio interface connected via Firewire and some usb devices like printer etc.
In the Copperlan Manager I just have blank pages, nothing shows at all.
Tracer

Postby CopperPhil » 05 Nov 2015, 23:32

OK.

So it looks like one of the CopperLan daemons is frozen for some reason... Can you unplug all USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt devices, then kill the processes cpvnmd and cpuserd (or reboot the Mac if you think it's easier).

BTW you plan to control your AL-88 through WIFI, right? I just want you to be sure that you are aware that WIFI induces a lot of latency/jitter. If you expected tight timing, then it would be better to use a cabled network between the Mac and the AL-88.
CopperPhil

Postby Tracer » 06 Nov 2015, 00:09

I unplugged everything, except the cable from the ethernet out of the mac to the Alyseum and rebooted. Still nothing in the Manager.
I'm not planning to run it through wifi, I would like to run it as describer above, with a cable between Mac and Alyseum. I understood from the Alyseum website that was possible, although the website is a little vagua about the details.
Tracer

Postby verstaerker » 08 Nov 2015, 18:14

beside the fact that using it via Wifi is not a low-latency and jitter-free solution it should work and can be very useful for some applications - it doesn't show the vmidi-ports if i choose my wifi adapter instead of my ethernet
verstaerker

Postby Tracer » 10 Nov 2015, 10:53

To give an update on my opening post: after updating to OSX 10.8 the problem was solved. Very happy with the Alyseum, midi is very tight and the Copperlan Manager is very user friendly!!
Tracer

Postby CopperPhil » 10 Nov 2015, 11:05

Thanks for the update! Great to know that your problem is solved and you are happy with it :)

So finally you just updated to 10.8, nothing else?
CopperPhil

Return to Windows and Mac installation