Local Ethernet device not found but...

Local Ethernet device not found but...

Postby Ripper » 14 Nov 2015, 19:07

Hi guys.

This one is special althought very crazy. The CPManager on my Windows 7 pc is not findig my local ethernet device (A Broadcom Xtream board updated to its last version). Instead it finds the one in the other pc of my home network, which also runs copperlan.

So... :?: :!:

I already tryed the usual stuff: Uninstalled CP, cleaned the registry, restarted the pc, reinstalled cpmanager and... no joy. Uninstalled the Ethernet device and... nothing.
Unninstalled both and restarted the pc... nada, niente, rien.

I even tried with Windows 10 and it also happened in the same machine. Reverted to Windows 7.

Has anybody faced one problem like this before?
Ripper

Re: Local Ethernet device not found but...

Postby CopperPhil » 15 Nov 2015, 11:41

Hi,

I can explain what is occurring, but not why...

You know that the VNM is the CopperLan engine, managing routing and network background tasks. Historically, a CopperLan application searches for a VNM located on the same (or on an attached) hardware machine at startup.

In order to ease integration of mobile CopperLan apps (iOS, Android) with hardware devices (only Archwave and Cymatic Audio products at the moment), we made a change in the version 1.4. Now, any CopperLan application tries first to get connected to a local VNM (same machine), and if it does not succeed, then the app searches for alternate VNMs located on the network and select the most efficient one (scoring based on CPU, memory, speed, ...). For example, thanks to this new method, an iOS or Android version of Cymatic uRemote app is able to control a uTrack24, a uTrack-X32, or any Archwave AES-67 board without need of any computer on the network (a computer was necessary before version 1.4 to host mobile CopperLan apps relying on an external VNM).

So in your case, due to some unknown reason, the CPManager running on your Windows 7 pc is not able to get connected to the cpvnm.exe service located on the same machine. Then it falls back on another VNM located on the other PC.

My question: do you see the VMIDI ports related to your Windows 7 computer on the network? These ports are managed by the Win7 computer's VNM, so not seeing them is an indication that the Win7 VNM is frozen or stopped. If the Win7 VNM is stopped, just try to restart it and check then if it is still stopped or running. It can be stopped again in case of exception, in this case please check the windows event logs and tell me if you find any log related to a VNM crash.

Please not that you have to quit and restart the CPManager to make it trying again to get attached to the local VNM.

If the VNM is frozen (running, but process load at 0%), just try to restart it.

If it is still frozen, please disconnect any MIDI device attached to the Win7 computer. Then if the VNM is working fine, attach MIDI devices one by one, restarting the VNM at each step until it gets frozen => you know which MIDI device causes the problem => report it here.

Sorry for this pretty difficult workflow but I have no better solution on hand at the moment...
CopperPhil

Postby Ripper » 16 Nov 2015, 23:17

Hi Phillipe.

After doing all the the things you suggested I went to the event viewer to check for some issue. Here you have what it has there:

"The description for Event ID 0 from source CPVNM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

STARTED
"

I also see those (I suppose those are the events related to the un/instalation process):
"Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\system32\DrvInst.exe "4" "0" "C:\Users\Joao\AppData\Local\Temp\{6938e0cf-713f-15d2-78c2-c872afb8ed79}\CPoEthProt.inf" "0" "62a6c663b" "000005E0" "WinSta0\Default" "000005CC" "208" "C:\Program Files\CopperLan\Drivers"; Description = Device Driver Package Install: CopperLan Network Protocol; Error = 0x80070422)."

"Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\system32\DrvInst.exe "4" "0" "C:\Users\Joao\AppData\Local\Temp\{373dee3f-a16e-422d-09db-7b72924fce50}\cpvirtualmidi.inf" "0" "6572a3713" "0000061C" "WinSta0\Default" "00000614" "208" "c:\program files\copperlan\drivers"; Description = Device Driver Package Install: CopperLan Sound, video and game controllers; Error = 0x80070422)."

"Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\system32\DrvInst.exe "4" "0" "C:\Users\Joao\AppData\Local\Temp\{6a6544ab-1a54-607a-db53-c041142e1d66}\CHAILinkOverUSB.inf" "0" "65065660b" "00000620" "WinSta0\Default" "00000634" "208" "C:\Program Files\CopperLan\Drivers"; Description = Device Driver Package Install: CopperLan; Error = 0x80070422)."

And:
"Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PCA2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: CopperLanSetup[20151007_1.4(2)].exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: CopperLanSetup[20151007_1.4(2)].exe
P4: unknown
P5: unknown
P6: 200
P7: -1
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Joao\AppData\Local\Temp\{ea65bc3f-30cf-428e-8214-9c986422422c}\appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Joao\AppData\Local\Temp\Tab43D9.tmp

These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: bb94150e-8b88-11e5-801d-001560edf287
Report Status: 0"

I can't find anything more in Event Viewer.
Ripper

Postby CopperPhil » 16 Nov 2015, 23:46

mmmh... interesting.

What is the date related to the events referring error 0x80070422 ? Is it recent? I mean are these event related to the latest CopperLan install attempts? This error seems to be related to the Windows security features. => maybe could you try to install the CopperLan package 1.4(2) using the "run as administrator" option (right click on the .exe)

And what about the CPVNM service? Is it running, stopped, frozen? Do you see the VMIDI ports related to the local Win7 computer in the CopperLan Manager?
CopperPhil

Postby Ripper » 16 Nov 2015, 23:55

That event is from yesterday.
I always install as administrator and go to the permissions tab and be sure that my user has full control access and even ownership. ;)

CPVNM started and with 0% CPU charge.

No VMidi ports found from that Windows 7 pc.
Ripper

Postby CopperPhil » 17 Nov 2015, 00:08

OK, let's try something else.

First, please check that your firewall settings are set to default. Some custom settings might prevent the CopperLan Manager to discuss with the VNM...

Then, go to the "network connections" settings, select your network interface, right click, properties, then do you see the "CopperLan over Ethernet Protocol Driver" in the list under "This connection uses the following items:" ? Is it checked?

Finally, you can also try to stop manually the CPVNM service, then uninstall CopperLan, then reboot and then re-install CopperLan.
CopperPhil

Postby Ripper » 17 Nov 2015, 00:24

I have the windows firewall turned off, although I put exception entrances for copperlan manager and the cpvnm.

The Copperlan Protocol is checked in the network interface and had previously done the uninstallation and the usual recommendations.

Tomorrow I will reinstall windows 7 and see what this gives us.

I'll let you know how this went throught.
Ripper

Postby Ripper » 18 Nov 2015, 16:31

Hi Phil.

I installed Win 7 yesterday and it is still not working.

The only message that I can now find in the event Viewer is the one related to Event 0, that is:

"Não é possível localizar a descrição do ID de Evento 0 a partir da origem CPVNM. O componente que desencadeia este evento não está instalado no computador local ou a instalação está danificada. Poderá instalar ou reparar o componente no computador local.

Se o evento tiver tido origem noutro computador, as informações de apresentação têm de ser guardadas com o evento.

Foram incluídas as seguintes informações com o evento:

STARTED
"

In English is the one for: "Can not find the description of the id. Event 0 at the origin CPVNM"...

Just saying: Is there any possibility of any issue with the ethernet device drivers? It was working before with no change in the driver in the same Windows 7 installation. :?: :?
Ripper

Postby CopperPhil » 18 Nov 2015, 18:36

I have no idea... Our protocol driver is working fine with any device and Windows versions since 2008... I can't figure out why it could not be working with your Ethernet interface.

We have to try something more complicated, but I think you have the knowledge to do that :-)

So...
1) stop the CPVNM service
2) run a command prompt in administrator mode
3) cd \program files\copperlan\cpvnm
4) cpvnm -console
5) e [enter] (command to list the available ethernet interfaces)

=> do you see your Ethernet card there?
CopperPhil

Postby Ripper » 18 Nov 2015, 19:02

I already did that yesterday ;) : Yes, A beautifull Broadcom NetXtreme is mentioned there. 8-)
Ripper

Next

Return to Windows and Mac installation