iPAD ->Windows 8

iPAD ->Windows 8

Postby chrisfoster » 28 Nov 2013, 05:48

Hi again,

What is the current status/ roadmap for having iPAD sysex controller apps (Midi Designer, Patch Morpher) talk to Windows 8 via CopperLan?

WiFi has too much latency, so it's down to USB and Bluetooth. A new app, Apollo Midi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuwvnkNKvyk can do Bluetooth iOS <->MacOS and a windows version may be coming next year.

If I was going to contact the Apollo Midi guy, to discuss bridging iOS ->Win8 via Bluetooth/CopperLan...what info can I provide to get the ball rolling?

I need to pursue this option in case a Native Sysex/CopperLan App fails to materialize...within months :)

Chris
chrisfoster

Re: iPAD ->Windows 8

Postby CopperPhil » 28 Nov 2013, 09:00

Hi,

Using Apollo Midi can be a solution if you have a iOS device and a Mac equipped with Bluetooth LE. This software seems to create a MIDI port on the Mac, you would be able to hook it in CopperLan and so forward incoming MIDI from the iOS device to any MIDI port on the network. It would be the same when Apollo becomes available on PC.

Apollo is a MIDI over Bluetooth tunneling solution, it doesn't make sense to make it CopperLan since the final goal is sending MIDI from point A to point B.

BTW a project is in the pipe to allow controlling a MIDI Out port like it is a real CopperLan target exposing parameters. But it is using only standard MIDI messages (control change, ...), nothing yet supporting custom sysex.
CopperPhil

Postby chrisfoster » 06 Dec 2013, 02:53

Excellent...news of the Midi messages project, hopefully sysex will follow.
chrisfoster

Postby CopperPhil » 06 Dec 2013, 09:20

Just to let you know that Alyseum just released the AL-USB device: http://www.alyseum.com/al-usb.html#.UqF6YcRDu58

It is bridging two USB MIDI ports to CopperLan Ethernet, so you can connect an iPad (and so MIDI Designer for example) to any MIDI port on the network, using Ethernet and without incurring WIFI latency.
CopperPhil

Postby chrisfoster » 06 Dec 2013, 11:48

Being USB2.0, class compliant...would it also function with the plethora of USB based controllers out there?

This is basically to pass through messages from an iOS app to CL....it wont enable learning of iOS parameters or USB controller functionality...that needs to be embedded in the sources operating system I'd guess using the SDK.

Some cool apps I purchased recently Liquid Rhythm and Liquid Notes....I emailed them to ask if they had considered CL functionality. The Liquid Rhythm folks certainly had not heard of CL....these sort of apps try and integrate into Albeton and hardware controllers like from Livid. I would have though the CL route would be make it easier to support more third parties with less work overall..but then again I could be on the wrong track.

I just like to mention CP so they have a look and maybe consider the possibilities...especially the stand alone apps which miss out on the CP wrapper.
chrisfoster

Postby CopperPhil » 06 Dec 2013, 12:17

Being USB2.0, class compliant...would it also function with the plethora of USB based controllers out there?

No, this is a USB client providing dual MIDI ports, not a Host...

This is basically to pass through messages from an iOS app to CL....it wont enable learning of iOS parameters or USB controller functionality...that needs to be embedded in the sources operating system I'd guess using the SDK.

Indeed, it is only providing a MIDI connection through physical network. But this is by design compatible with the numerous MIDI applications without needing to modify them to be CopperLan compliant. Still the MIDI limitations, but very low latency compared to WIFI, and long distance capability (thanks to Ethernet) compared to usual wired MIDI.

I would have though the CL route would be make it easier to support more third parties with less work overall..but then again I could be on the wrong track.

You are right, using CopperLan simplifies a lot the controller<->target relationship and ensures interoperability between gears whatever their brand. Several manufacturers are moving this way, they've understood their interest on this business. But the market is doing MIDI for so long, they just don't understand what CopperLan is. What we do is science-fiction for them. It's a very long process to make them thinking all of this is possible and very easy to set up ;)

Nevertheless we're working on a new Smart Controller app for iOS, quite basic but it's an universal and auto-configurable controller for any CopperLan target. The CopperPlug is extended with a MIDI out bridge in addition to the VST/AU support. All of these would be released before the NAMM Show in January.

I just like to mention CP so they have a look and maybe consider the possibilities...especially the stand alone apps which miss out on the CP wrapper.

Thanks a lot for your support!
CopperPhil

Postby chrisfoster » 23 Jul 2015, 15:26

So there is now native USB Midi/Audio in Core of iOS. Would it now be possible to expose this via CopperLan?

The solutions currently out there, are still clunky i.e via VST and ITunes for PC
chrisfoster

Postby alfredalfred » 02 May 2016, 09:21

What is the current status/ roadmap for having iPAD sysex controller apps (Midi Designer, Patch Morpher) talk to Windows 8 via CopperLan?
waleeed
alfredalfred

Postby chrisfoster » 02 May 2016, 10:28

I'm having success using an AL-USB with a Audioconnect4+ and an un-powered USB Hub.

The 4+ has USB1 for PC/MAC, USB2 for iOS and a USB Host Port.

Off the Host port I hang an un-powered 4 port hub, which powers the AL-USB, Korg Taktile and Korg NanoKontrol2.

I have the routing setup in the 4+ to strictly route midi only, to the AL-USB from the iPAD, Korgs and PC

The AL-USB connects to an un-managed switch which houses 2 x AL-88c and a PC LAN Port (with only the copperlan protocol enabled)

The 4+ streams 8 audio Tracks from AUM on iPAD to the PC, with the AL-USB doing all midi/sysex for the whole setup.

For Midi only, you could get the new USB3/ Lightning adapter which provides power to both iPAD and AL-USB/ Midi
chrisfoster

Return to Questions