Ethernet controller and Windows 8/8.1 64bit problems

Re: Ethernet controller and Windows 8/8.1 64bit problems

Postby bcslaam » 11 Dec 2013, 08:25

date is correct cvpnm.exe size is 1.20 MB (1,268,224 bytes) and
date is correct CPoEthAPI.dll size is 57.0 KB (58,368 bytes)

this is "size",
not "size on disk"

time was 7hrs different due to timezone, the minutes were the same.

I had bome midi and loopb that were installed by emulator pro and touchosc. They showed up in CL as ports though and didnt seem to be an issue. I have now, since rebooting and adding delay, uninstalled them.

I've also disabled teamviewer from loading at startup now.
bcslaam

Postby bcslaam » 15 Dec 2013, 12:19

No difference after uninstalling bome etc

What has been working is after pc has settled from first boot which now consistantly has no ethernet card in copperlan, yet all other programs see it,

re-booting again a second time, copperlan has has been working 90% of the time.

You'd think that would indicate a hardware error but since all the other apps can see the nic and use it normally that flaws the argument.

I'm wondering because of that if it would be a waste of time and money to get another pci nic card.
bcslaam

Postby CopperPhil » 16 Dec 2013, 08:05

The other apps are using IP based protocol with client/server requests or point to point streaming. The CopperLan network management is quite different.Timing and NIC availability are crucial.

I saw unwanted device declarations in the logs you sent me, reflecting network instability when the system is supposed stable. Finally, you never sent me a complete log issued from the diagnostic tool, you had to cancel it because it was never ending. The diagnostic tool is waiting for a stable network before enumerating connections details, this may explain why it failed. Can you try again to run this diagnostic tool when CopperLan seems working well? It's useful to determine if it's really working well at this time (I mean the network is stable and not doing continuous retries).

It seems that your NIC takes some time before being up and running after a cold boot. The hardware is not going through a power off status when you reboot. Things are not going well when you turn off/turn on the computer, but adding a delay before VNM service start-up improves things. So can you check:
1) when you wake it up after a sleep
2) going through hibernation

Buying another NIC card could be a solution, I'm sure that this issue is related to the NIC but I still can't determine if it is a hardware or software failure...

But if you install a new PCI NIC, please ensure that you remove the current one or disable it if it is part of the mother board. Network drivers are very entangled.
CopperPhil

Postby bcslaam » 14 Feb 2014, 04:41

Hi again

Am I the only one getting the disappearing nic card problem?

Its now happening on two other machines. So I have totally reconfigured my network. Still happens. Happens mostly on windows 8.1 64 bit systems.

Have you had any problems with the server apps that come with tablet controllers like neyfi for vcontrol or touchable or LivKontrol. They all force you to use Bome or teVirtualMIDI upon install and I'm wondering if they have anything to do with this.
bcslaam

Postby CopperPhil » 14 Feb 2014, 10:25

Hi,

Actually yes, you are the only one reporting such NIC issue... :|

Just to be sure, what is the status displayed on the CopperLan Manager's bottom-right when the NIC disappears? Ethernet, Local, No CopperLan?

We have not yet received any feedback related to Bome MIDI Translator or teVirtualMIDI driver. These software are creating virtual MIDI drivers, like CopperLan does, so it is possible that there is some interaction between them and the VNM... teVirtualMIDI is provided by a "competitor" (they are using Rtp-MIDI), so maybe they do some sabotage? :lol: (it's a Joke of course, I'm sure Tobias will never do that ;) )

BTW we have identified and fixed an issue on service stop with physical MIDI IN activity. This issue doesn't occur with CopperLan virtual MIDI ports, but I can't confirm for other VMIDI ports... Did you check that the VMIDI ports created by MIDI Translator and teVirtualMIDI are not handled by CopperLan (they should be "off" in the CP to MIDI and MIDI to CP settings)?

Finally, here is a test package including the latest fixes. Please try it (windows, except XP32): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/215 ... %29%5D.exe
CopperPhil

Postby bcslaam » 14 Feb 2014, 18:52

Two machines (win 8.1) will show "local" and no nic available even though network is fine.

the other win 8 machine has had cpvnm crashing as well so will show "no copperlan". Im able to start and restart cpvmn service. This machine has no other virtual midi or server apps. Very clean.

What ive noticed on all machines with new version of cl 1.2.7 is that in edit mode when enabling or disabling a another 3rd party virtual or hardware port to cp or opposite it will glitch and show false state of off. This is also when it remotely will cause my win8 machine to crash cpvnm service. In all machines this happens.

Ive now gone and bought intel pro1000 pcie for all machines plus new unmanaged switch for their own exclusive network except for one trunk from the managed switch so the tablets can still control the daws.

We'll see what transpires. Hope I haven't wasted my money.

Cheers

Another observation is that in all machines any moving objects includi g help tips leave a trail of lines.

Generally 1.2.7 feels a little flakey.
bcslaam

Postby CopperPhil » 14 Feb 2014, 19:05

These bugs (related to MIDI port status) should be fixed in the test version I mentioned in the previous message. Did you try it?

Another observation is that in all machines any moving objects includi g help tips leave a trail of lines.

Yep it's a display bug due to the screen scaling. Your windowsis probably configured with a 125% display scaling.

This is a known issue, it will be fixed in the next release.
CopperPhil

Previous

Return to General